Daily Devotional for November 3, 2011

Psalm 125:2
Just as Jerusalem is protected by mountains on every side, the LORD protects his people by holding them in his arms now and forever.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Everybody loves a hug. From the time we are babies, we are snuggled in the arms of others (hopefully). We learn from our earliest days that a hug can be a safe, comforting respite from the cares of the world. At some point in our lives, we have all probably said (or at least thought), “I could really use a hug!”

One of my favorite images is snuggling in the arms of Jesus. When I need a little “boost” in my day, I imagine sinking into the soft, silky folds of Jesus’ robe as His arms engulf me. I rest in His lap, snuggled against His chest, hearing the steady beat of His heart and the rhythmic in-and-out of his breathing. I am immediately comforted. I feel safe, protected, and greatly loved.

Lately, I’ve been picturing others there, too. It comforts me to envision my family and friends safely wrapped in Jesus’ arms. Each of us can have this “hug” from Jesus at any time. His arms are wide and strong… His lap can hold all of us! We will each receive personal attention… He is able to make all of us feel like we are His special, chosen children – because we are!

Whatever you need from Jesus today, He is waiting to provide. If you just need to sit in His lap for a while and rest against His heart, He has his arms open to receive you. Start to see yourself – and others – there. Feel the safety and security of snuggling with your Heavenly Father. Leave your cares and burdens with Him and go about the rest of your day restored and lightened.

Could you really use a hug right now? Why not ask Jesus to give you one.

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: