Daily Devotional for November 25, 2011

Psalm 139:1-4
You have looked deep into my heart, LORD, and you know all about me. You know when I am resting or when I am working, and from heaven you discover my thoughts.

You notice everything I do and everywhere I go. Before I even speak a word, you know what I will say, and with your powerful arm you protect me from every side.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

My husband and I recently watched an episode of “Our America with Lisa Ling” about identical twins. Ling pointed out the intense bond she shares with her sister, and she noted that it pales in comparison to the bond shared by identical twins. More than an emotional bond, these siblings share virtually identical DNA. In many, if not most cases, it’s safe to say these twins know all about each other. They finish each other’s sentences and seem to anticipate the other one’s very thoughts. They pretty much function as one unit and often suffer tremendous separation anxiety when they are apart.

Even identical twins separated at birth show incredible similarities when reunited. When interviewed, one set of 50-year-old identical twin sisters said, “People ask us what it’s like to be twins, and we tell them we don’t know what it’s like not to be a twin!” They are of one heart and mind, so to speak, and they know all about each other.

Each of us likes to think we have strong bonds with another… our siblings and other family members, our spouse or significant other, or a best friend. And these relationships are all perfectly honorable and important. But our bond with God trumps all others. He knows us inside and out. The question is… are we doing all we need to know Him in the same manner? We will never be able to know all that God is thinking before He speaks. But we will hopefully learn more about Him every day until we die. We must make our relationship with God a top priority. We must cultivate a close communication with Him that allows us to clearly recognize His voice and even anticipate what He will say to us.

How well do you know God? Is your goal to know God so well and communicate so closely with Him that you don’t know what it would be like not to know Him? Shouldn’t it be?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: