Daily Devotional for November 6, 2011

John 16:19-22
Jesus knew they were dying to ask him what he meant, so he said, "Are you trying to figure out among yourselves what I meant when I said, 'In a day or so you're not going to see me, but then in another day or so you will see me'? Then fix this firmly in your minds: You're going to be in deep mourning while the godless world throws a party. You'll be sad, very sad, but your sadness will develop into gladness.

"When a woman gives birth, she has a hard time, there's no getting around it. But when the baby is born, there is joy in the birth. This new life in the world wipes out memory of the pain. The sadness you have right now is similar to that pain, but the coming joy is also similar. When I see you again, you'll be full of joy, and it will be a joy no one can rob from you. You'll no longer be so full of questions.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Sometimes I will tell Timothy, “You will see me again in two ‘night-nights’.” He nods as if he understands, but to a 2-year-old, the concept of time means nothing. "In a minute” seems too long for little children. When you say, “Hold on a second,” you might as well have said, “Give me three years.” But when I see Timothy again, he runs to me with open arms as if no time has passed.

For us, a lot of time periods seem long and difficult to endure. It is hard for us to wait a day/week/year for the things we are anticipating… and waiting years for something seems almost impossible – especially if we are talking about seeing loved ones again who have passed away. Think about soldiers who go to war. Imagine how hard it must be for their families to wait for them to return. But once they do, the time seems to dissolve into the joy of being reunited.

This is how Jesus is describing the time with Him to His disciples. Of course, for those of us who have never physically seen Him, this concept is somewhat different. But still, as we grow in our relationship with Jesus, it seems that we often become more eager to physically SEE Him… and the wait becomes challenging. I see this a lot in older people like my grandmother and her friends at the Assisted Living Facility… many who have told me, “I have prayed to die. I’m ready to go home.”

I don’t know what you are waiting on today, but I do know that Jesus is with you, whether you physically see Him with your eyes or not. Maybe you are counting the days until graduation, a big date, the playoffs, or your wedding or a big move. Maybe you are waiting on the birth of a child… or you are either caring for someone with a serious illness – or you are sick and know that your time on earth is coming to a close. Whatever you wait for… whatever you anticipate… Jesus is with you. His Holy Spirit can nurture you and guide you… He is ready to comfort you and fill your heart with strength, courage, and patience.

This is a passage of hope. This message from Jesus should make us confident and joyful… knowing that Jesus is with us now – and that the day we DO see His face will be amazing. All of the time we spent in trials, challenges and waiting will fade quickly away, and we will only know the sheer joy and jubilation of being in His presence. Meanwhile, we have work to do… a purpose to fulfill for His glory in this lifetime. I don’t know what your purpose is, but God will show you if you will just ask… and listen.

I pray that this makes the waiting easier. I pray that today you are encouraged in whatever situation you face. Realize that you are not alone. Take heart in the presence of the Holy Spirit, and let Him fill you with peace and comfort. Ask God to give you patience and peace, as you wait for the day when your joy erases every speck of anticipation and He answers all of your questions.

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: