Daily Devotional for November 7, 2011

John 16:23-28
"This is what I want you to do: Ask the Father for whatever is in keeping with the things I've revealed to you. Ask in my name, according to my will, and he'll most certainly give it to you. Your joy will be a river overflowing its banks!

"I've used figures of speech in telling you these things. Soon I'll drop the figures and tell you about the Father in plain language. Then you can make your requests directly to him in relation to this life I've revealed to you. I won't continue making requests of the Father on your behalf. I won't need to. Because you've gone out on a limb, committed yourselves to love and trust in me, believing I came directly from the Father, the Father loves you directly. First, I left the Father and arrived in the world; now I leave the world and travel to the Father."

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Several years ago, a new program was enacted that required everyone who is covered by Medicare to choose an insurance company to cover the cost of their prescription drugs. It’s called Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Coverage… or “Part D” for short. Since I handle my grandmother’s business affairs, this decision for her coverage fell to me. As with all new programs, there were kinks and things that didn’t work like they should… and a huge learning curve.

After several weeks of frustration and getting passed from one person to another, I sent e-mail messages to all of my Congressmen and women… and my governor… to complain about the treatment I was receiving and the inefficiency of the system. Eventually I was given the number of a representative named Donna, who worked directly for Medicare. Donna was such a blessing, and by the time we had everything settled, I had her telephone number on speed dial in my phone! I could now go directly to Donna for answers… I didn’t have to contact agency after agency and get passed around like a hot potato. And for several years, I phoned Donna to get clarification about my decisions.

Imagine if we had to go through this agency and that person and someone else just to talk to God. What if we had to “leave a message” with our pastor or another church official, who would in turn talk to God and “get back to us” with a response. How much would you really try to communicate with God? Do you think your relationship with Him would be very strong?

I am so thankful for Jesus. Because He came to earth and lived among us… taught us how to live as His Disciples, and then died on the cross for our sins… we have DIRECT access to God any time we want! We don’t have to sacrifice an animal or burn an offering. We don’t have to talk to church leaders and ask them to intercede for us. We just have to open our heart – and our mouth – and say, “Hello, LORD… I’m back, and I need you!” Because of Jesus, we can ask, “LORD, please handle this for me, according to Your will,” and He will do it!

I don’t know about you, but I don’t like having to leave messages and go through this person or that one to get my answers… and I surely would not like having this kind of relationship with God. Aren’t you glad we don’t have to do this? Isn’t it time you put God on your “speed dial” and talk with Him as often as you can?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: