Daily Devotional for April 11, 2012

Ephesians 4:25-32
What this adds up to, then, is this: no more lies, no more pretense. Tell your neighbor the truth. In Christ's body we're all connected to each other, after all. When you lie to others, you end up lying to yourself.

Go ahead and be angry. You do well to be angry—but don't use your anger as fuel for revenge. And don't stay angry. Don't go to bed angry. Don't give the Devil that kind of foothold in your life.

Did you use to make ends meet by stealing? Well, no more! Get an honest job so that you can help others who can't work.

Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift.

Don't grieve God. Don't break his heart. His Holy Spirit, moving and breathing in you, is the most intimate part of your life, making you fit for himself. Don't take such a gift for granted.

Make a clean break with all cutting, backbiting, profane talk. Be gentle with one another, sensitive. Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave you.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Unless you have been under a rock for the last two weeks, you know that we’ve had a scandal brewing in Arkansas involving the head football coach at one of our leading state universities. Bobby Petrino was fired on April 10th… dismissed “with cause”… meaning his $3.86 million annual salary ceases, and he is no longer employed by the state of Arkansas. Any way you slice it, this has been a sad situation for many… and as University of Arkansas Athletic Director Jeff Long put it in a press conference after the firing, “… it’s because people’s lives are affected here, and that’s what we sometimes miss.” This is an example of how we are all connected to each other in the body of Christ, and how one person’s lies affects not only others, but themselves.

Even though this would be a good “lesson” in and of itself, I want to focus on another portion of this scripture passage. See, I’ve been frustrated and judgmental of several people lately, if only in my own heart. I’ve deemed more than one person to be self-absorbed and inconsiderate of others’ feelings… “What were they thinking? How could they claim to be a caring, even “Godly” person and treat someone else with such disregard?” I’ve judged people who seemed inattentive to their family members and friends… and people who claim to serve God at every turn but only seem to truly serve themselves. On the surface, it often appears to us as “outsiders” that others are only doing what makes them feel good – and never considering how it affects anyone else.

This brings me to the last portion of this passage… “Be gentle with one another, sensitive. Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave you.” At the end of the day, we are all selfish and self-centered at times. Each of us has lied and thought of no one but ourselves. We’ve all said things we shouldn’t. And we have all had to bow before Jesus and ask for forgiveness, which has been quickly and freely granted.

So we must offer the same gentleness and sensitivity to those who make a mess of things… if only in our own estimation. We are right to be angry – to a point. I think our disappointment with Coach Petrino is justified. But at the end of the day, he is a child of God as much as you and I… and entitled to the same forgiveness from Jesus as we are (if he asks for it – and I believe he will). Judgment is not our job… but extending to others the forgiveness we have received certainly is!

I was called up short by these last verses. I have to release my anger and frustration toward others and offer them sensitivity, gentleness, and forgiveness – whether they ask me for it or not. Otherwise, the devil will use this negative “energy” to gnaw at me and steal my joy… and I am not willing to compromise this gift! There are at least two things we should take away from the scripture passage today:
  1. There is no room for ego in the life of a Christian. The choices and decisions we make affect others. “What about me?” will simply not cut it, if we truly want to live for Jesus. Virtually nothing in this life is totally about you or me.
  2. We must all realize that we can’t ask Jesus to forgive us… and then continue to judge others. We must operate in humility and an understanding that we are only one prayer for forgiveness away from being in the “hot seat” ourselves.
I’ll be the first to admit that I still have a long way to go in my quest to stop judging others. That’s the devil’s doing… trying to keep me from growing closer to God. But the last thing in the world I want is to grieve my Heavenly Father… and I know that judgment and insensitivity toward others grieves Him just as much. I must continually seek the Holy Spirit and make a place for Him in my heart, so that I have adequate protection – and ammunition – for fighting these feelings. I am not taking this gift for granted… are you?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: