Daily Devotional for April 16, 2012

April 16 ~ Matthew 16:17-18
Jesus came back, "God bless you, Simon, son of Jonah! You didn't get that answer out of books or from teachers. My Father in heaven, God himself, let you in on this secret of who I really am. And now I'm going to tell you who you are, really are. You are Peter, a rock. This is the rock on which I will put together my church, a church so expansive with energy that not even the gates of hell will be able to keep it out.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Even though it’s been almost 26 years since I taught in the public schools, I still maintain a close relationship with several of my former students. I consider it a great blessing to keep up with their lives and accomplishments… to see their growth in so many areas. I’ve also enjoyed keeping up with those who attended my junior and senior high Sunday school classes in more recent years. Seeing them develop as productive citizens, wives, husbands and parents – and grow in their faith – has truly blessed me.

Recently, a former kindergarten student messaged me about the sudden accidental death of someone we both knew…the husband of a former fellow teacher. The man’s son is now a student of MY student, who teaches nursing at Arkansas Tech University. She was at a loss as to how to comfort this young man, and she voiced her frustrations. I offered her reassurance and tried to show her how God was using her to meet this student in ways she could not even imagine… and how He would use this experience to help both of them grow in their profession (and life in general) over time. She replied to thank me and said, “Sometimes I just need a little encouragement.”

After this exchange, I was struck by the thought that “this ole teacher” is still teaching! And then I began to think about former teachers of mine who are still teaching me new things, even today! My dear third-grade teacher, Mrs. Garner, taught me until the week she passed away about making the most of your circumstances. My sweet 2nd-grade Sunday school teacher, Mrs. Gloria Duckworth, helped instill in me a caring and concern for former students by always keeping up with me – and she encourages me even today. My grandmother still teaches me how to bless and care for others, according to your present abilities. And my former students are showing me that teaching – and learning – never ends.

I value all of the “life lessons” I have learned from influential people in my life. But more importantly, I value the lessons I learn every day from my Heavenly Father. God teaches me things that no one else can… He shows me Who He is… and often He does so through these “earthly teachers” and experiences. And what God has shown me is that I can accomplish much for His Kingdom - if I let Him have control. He can use each of us as the foundation rocks to serve as springboards for great work and blessings in His name. In this manner, the Teacher keeps on teaching.

God shows us new things every day. He offers us new insights – and He uses us to help others along the way. But we must be in constant contact with Him, so that we are receptive to His leadership… so that we hear from Him and know exactly what He wants us to do – and how to accomplish it! We must be sure that we are listening – and receiving – God’s message and allowing His Holy Spirit to establish a firm foundation within us for ministering to others.

How firm is your foundation today? Are you receiving the teaching and leadership of God’s Holy Spirit? Are you teaching others in His name? Are you living in such a way that you are one of the “rocks” of God’s church? Today, I encourage you to ask God to show you how – and where – He wants you to show up, teach, and serve in His name. Ask Him to make you one of His rocks… and to use you to build up His church. While you are at it, take a few minutes to thank God for the teachers in your life…all of the people He has used to build YOU up and show you who He truly is. May He bless each and every one of these servants… and may we aspire to follow in their footsteps.

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: