Daily Devotional for April 6, 2012

Romans 8:15-17 This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life. It's adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike "What's next, Papa?" God's Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who he is, and we know who we are: Father and children. And we know we are going to get what's coming to us—an unbelievable inheritance! We go through exactly what Christ goes through. If we go through the hard times with him, then we're certainly going to go through the good times with him!

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Lately, I’ve been exchanging messages with a friend from high school who will soon be transferring two foster children in her care back to the home of their mother. She has cared for these children for several months now, and her home has been a loving, stable environment for them… their longest “stability” ever. Naturally, she is dreading the day that they will leave her… for many reasons.

While my husband and I were not fulltime foster parents, we did spend a lot of time with my little nephew, Timothy, during his first 2½ years of life. Saying “Good-bye” to him when he moved to another state last December was truly heartbreaking. I understand on some level what my friend is experiencing… I know the dread of “the day” and the sadness of the actual “good-bye.” I also know that God has never left me… He has given me strength and courage when I sad and defeated. He has enabled me to smile, laugh and find joy… and given me a deeper appreciation for other children. And I am assuring my friend that He will do all of this – and more – for her.

The point of sharing this is not to make you feel sorry for my husband and me… or my friend. It is to show you that God not only shares our pain and heartaches… He shields us and lifts us, also. He never leaves us… and out of our most difficult circumstances, He sets us upright and enables us to ask, “What’s next?” Because of my experience, my friend knows that my words of encouragement are genuine and based in firsthand knowledge. And because of Jesus’ suffering, we can trust that He understands our own – and His comfort comes from a place of true empathy.

There are heartaches, challenges and sufferings of all kinds for each of us. Being a Christian doesn’t insulate us from these experiences… but it does insure us against a terminal suffering. In Psalm 30:5, we read that “…weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.”(KJV) I like how The Message puts it… “The nights of crying your eyes out give way to days of laughter.” Isn’t this great news? We should be deeply encouraged to know that a “new life in Christ” includes another day with a fresh start and a return of joy and laughter… and that Jesus is with us every step of the way.

Remember two things today: 1) God totally understands everything you are going through… your joys AND your sorrows… the good times AND those that are painful. When you suffer, He suffers with you, and… 2) God will restore your joy. I have no idea what your challenges, or heartaches are… but with God’s help, you WILL get through whatever it is you are suffering or grieving. God will see that you experience “good times” again.

Recognize the presence of Jesus and His Holy Spirit. Thank Him for His company… His grace, mercy, and blessings. Learn from God, and share the comfort you have received with others who have similar needs. Reach out and genuinely say, “I’ve been there… I understand… and you will get through this!” Because Jesus suffered on the cross, He can say, “I know how you feel… I understand what you are going through.” Remember the adage that “people don’t care what you know until they know that you care.” Because I know that Jesus cares, I care what He knows… and I want more of Him each and every day. Don’t you?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: