Daily Devotional for April 13, 2012

Isaiah 45:18-21
God, Creator of the heavens - he is, remember, God. Maker of earth - he put it on its foundations, built it from scratch. He didn't go to all that trouble to just leave it empty, nothing in it. He made it to be lived in.

This God says: "I am God, the one and only. I don't just talk to myself or mumble under my breath. I never told Jacob, 'Seek me in emptiness, in dark nothingness.' I am God. I work out in the open, saying what's right, setting things right. So gather around, come on in, all you refugees and castoffs. They don't seem to know much, do they - those who carry around their no-god blocks of wood, praying for help to a dead stick?

So tell me what you think. Look at the evidence. Put your heads together. Make your case. Who told you, and a long time ago, what's going on here? Who made sense of things for you? Wasn't I the one? God? It had to be me. I'm the only God there is - The only God who does things right and knows how to help.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

When I packed my grandmother’s things last year to move her into an assisted living facility, I found more than one set of nice pajamas in a dresser drawer. They had never been worn. She was saving them “in case I have to go to the hospital.” In truth, the hospital staff prefers that patients wear the “gowns” they provide – for a variety of reasons. So these beautiful pajamas that had never been worn were in my grandmother’s dresser drawer, where time had taken a toll on the elastic in the pants. Before anyone could wear them, these “brand-spanking-new” pajamas would have to be repaired!

I made a point to sort through all of my grandmother’s clothes and only move her best things… and a handful of older items she simply refused to part with… and I told her she should wear her good things every day and not tuck anything in the back of her closet for a “rainy day.” She has not been entirely happy with this and claims that on some days she is “overdressed,” but she is making an effort to dress well.

Don’t we do this with our life as a Christian? Don’t we often tuck our best into a drawer or the back of our closet… to trot out only if and when we have a special occasion? Don’t we go through life pretty much taking God for granted… calling on Him only in a crisis… and “worshipping” other things – at least to some degree – much of the time? We can blame this on busyness, or admit to laziness, or even self-absorption. But the bottom line is that – for whatever reasons - many of us often neglect our relationship with our One True God and fail to fully live as good stewards of His blessings in the world He created.

I count myself among those who need to renew efforts to “wear the good stuff” every day – to truly give God my best in all things, at all times. Any less belies how important He is in my daily living… and WHO God truly is. Who – or what – have you placed ahead of God these days? What old habits and other “old stuff” have you pulled out of the closet? Isn’t it time for a good old-fashioned spring cleaning? Isn’t this a great time to bring God’s best to the forefront… to “wear” the blessings and His call to service for all to see – and to give Him the glory and recognition He deserves?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: