Daily Devotional for April 7, 2012

Galatians 2:19-20
What actually took place is this: I tried keeping rules and working my head off to please God, and it didn't work. So I quit being a "law man" so that I could be God's man. Christ's life showed me how, and enabled me to do it. I identified myself completely with him. Indeed, I have been crucified with Christ. My ego is no longer central. It is no longer important that I appear righteous before you or have your good opinion, and I am no longer driven to impress God. Christ lives in me. The life you see me living is not "mine," but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that.

Is it not clear to you that to go back to that old rule-keeping, peer-pleasing religion would be an abandonment of everything personal and free in my relationship with God? I refuse to do that, to repudiate God's grace. If a living relationship with God could come by rule-keeping, then Christ died unnecessarily.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Our friends’ daughter is getting married soon, and I am part of a group hosting a bridal shower for her. One of my responsibilities was to address the invitations. In doing so, questions came up about the “rules of etiquette” for addressing invitations. For instance, if a mother and daughter who live at the same address are both invited, do you send one invitation or two? (Answer: Proper etiquette dictates that anyone in the household over age 16 get his/her own invitation!) Do you include a return address on the envelope? (Answer: Yes… you include the address of the shower host/hostess.)

With knowledge of the “rules for what is proper” in hand, I addressed the envelopes and mailed the invitations. This was a case where following the rules was not a bad idea… but it was fairly insignificant in the overall scheme of things.

On the other hand, some of the hard, fast rules that Christians like to hold to have very little to do with living for Jesus… and more to do with convention and traditions created by human beings. One example of this is mealtime prayers. I know people who insist on a pre-meal prayer, whether they are at their own dining table or in a crowded restaurant. I grew up in a household where pre-meal prayers happened every day… and I am as grateful as the next person for the food God puts before me. But I have been in crowded restaurants where someone at my table insisted on praying before we eat, and I’ve looked up to see a waiter standing awkwardly, waiting to set down one last dish or to refill drink glasses.

It isn’t as if we simply MUST pray at this particular moment, as much as we are either so bound by the “laws” of our faith – or in some cases, we want to “witness” to others by our prayer. If praying before we eat is truly about communion with God to thank Him, why not stop and take a few seconds to offer a silent blessing, regardless of what others are doing at the table.

By the same token, people have gotten so upset about “taking prayer out of school.” Nobody has taken prayer out of school. Children and adults alike are still free to pray any time they please… just not out loud and forcing everyone else to participate. Matthew 6:5-6 says "And when you come before God, don't turn that into a theatrical production either. All these people making a regular show out of their prayers, hoping for stardom! Do you think God sits in a box seat? Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace.”

Still others think that all “good Christians” attend church services every Sunday – and some even believe you must return on Sunday night and Wednesday! While attending worship services is a wonderful day to grow and fellowship with other believers, the act of attending a worship service does not necessarily bring you into closer communion with Jesus – much less impress Him while you warm a pew!

The bottom line is that there are times when we need to pay attention to the “laws” and use proper etiquette… and there are times when we need to stop putting on a show and surrender to Jesus. Until we are willing to leave our ego at the door and lay ourselves bare before Him, the real work He wants to do in and through us cannot begin. Today, as we look toward Resurrection Sunday and reflect on the sacrifices Jesus made for us on the cross, I can think of no better time for us to strip down to the nuts and bolts… to set aside all of the barriers, stumbling blocks - and yes, rules - that have prevented us from getting real about Christ and our relationship with Him.

When we stop trying to impress God and please others with our actions and behaviors, we are free to allow Jesus to operate fully within us. When we set aside our ego and the “rules of religion” and focus on Jesus Christ alone, we become more like Him… and fully validate all that He has done on our behalf. And that is when our true relationship with Christ can begin. Where are you in your journey? Are your ego and the “laws of religion” central to your faith? Are you striving to impress God – and others? Or have you truly been crucified with Christ? Does Jesus live in you today? Isn’t this a good time to surrender to Him?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: