Daily Devotional for April 30, 2012

Galatians 4:1-3
Let me show you the implications of this. As long as the heir is a minor, he has no advantage over the slave. Though legally he owns the entire inheritance, he is subject to tutors and administrators until whatever date the father has set for emancipation. That is the way it is with us: When we were minors, we were just like slaves ordered around by simple instructions (the tutors and administrators of this world), with no say in the conduct of our own lives.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Like many people, I have family heirlooms that I plan to pass on to my nieces and nephews someday. However, many times, the heirs are too young to fully appreciate the inheritance – or to properly care for the items. For example nobody would give a three-year-old boy his Grandpa’s gun or expect a 12-year-old girl to be trusted with an expensive piece of diamond jewelry. Young children have neither the maturity nor the capacity for housing Grandma’s china or a piece of furniture that has been handed down for generations. So the benefactor often holds onto these things – or places them in a “trust” - until the heirs mature.

What does this have to do with our Christian faith? God has so much that He wants to give us. We are truly the “heirs to His kingdom.” But most of us are not spiritually mature enough to handle this gift… at least not all of it. So we must be tutored and guided until we reach a level of Christian maturity. As we get to certain points in our “faith walk,” God grants us more gifts and blessings.

My grandparents and other relatives taught me about many of the heirlooms that I treasure today… who made them, how they were used, and more. I am trying to do the same for my nieces and nephews… teaching them to appreciate these pieces and why they are significant. I am not saving everything to be dispensed when I die. As they grow and mature enough to care for these heirlooms, I am sharing some of them. I get a kick out of watching these “children” enjoy my gifts. And it’s the same with God. He loves to see us reach a level of maturity that enables us to enjoy and fully appreciate His gifts and blessings.

Some of us want to resist God’s teaching. We think we already know far more than we truly do. Don’t be like this. Get over yourself, and accept God’s instruction and guidance. The sooner you grow and mature in your faith, the sooner you can receive more of the blessings of your inheritance. Listen to God… learn from Him… and get ready to be rewarded with His good gifts!

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: