Daily Devotional for April 24, 2012

Deuteronomy 10:12
People of Israel, what does the Lord your God want from you? The Lord wants you to respect and follow him, to love and serve him with all your heart and soul…

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version ©1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Today is the birthday of my cousin Natalie. I remember when she was born… my husband and I had been married less than a year, and my parents would place this darling baby in my lap and say, “When you finish college, maybe you will have one of these.” When Natalie’s brother Franklin came along four years later, they would hand him to me and say, “Doesn’t this make you want a baby?” As much as I love Natalie and Franklin, babies were not in the plans for us… at least not at that stage in our lives! But oh, how I loved my cousins. They were adorable… and easy to love – and they still are today! I am so proud of who they have become as adults… and parents themselves!

While it is easy to love some people… others are what I would describe as “unlovable” – or at the very least, “unlovely.” Yet, as Disciples of Christ and people who “walk in the fear of the LORD” (meaning we love and respect God and His commandments), we are called to “love one another.” We must recognize that the “unlovely” and “unlovable” are just as important, precious, and adorable to God as we are!

I totally understand how hard this is for us. When the telemarketer calls and interrupts my dinner or an evening movie, I find it hard to be kind and loving. When someone mistreats me - or worse…when I learn of the abuse of a child or watch news reports about the horrors of war or the mistreatment of an animal, I find it hard to love the perpetrator. And while we are right to be outraged and/or insulted… the ultimate judgment and justice resides with God. Trusting Him to handle these things is tantamount to operating in Christian faith.

Today, think of someone that you consider “unlovable” or “unlovely.” I bet you won’t have to look very far – we’re a pretty judgmental lot! Now imagine God wrapping His arms around them and loving them as much as you love your most dear child, cousin, or friend. Consider that this person is just as important to God as we are… and He expects us to treat them fairly. This doesn’t mean we have to go out of our way to be nice to a criminal or bully – but we must love them in our hearts… and genuinely pray for their soul.

We can’t have it both ways. We can’t say we “walk in the fear of the LORD” and also claim we find it impossible to love – or even tolerate – some people. I don’t know about you, but I’ve got a lot of work to do in this area. But it could be some of the most important work of my life, and I’m more than ready to begin. To “walk in the fear of the LORD” – keeping God’s commandments – is the foundation of all happiness. This means I’m going to have to work harder at loving those who make it so difficult… and I’m willing to do this. Are you?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: