Daily Devotional for May 1, 2012

May 1 ~ 1 Peter 5:7
God cares for you, so turn all your worries over to him.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Last night around 11:15, I got a call I have dreaded (but expected) for some time. The nurse at my grandmother’s Assisted Living Facility was calling to tell me that my Mam-ma Polly got out of bed and fell. She was sitting in the floor when her nurse found her, and she said, “I think my hip is broken.” The x-rays in the ER showed that the hip was indeed broken… badly. Several hours later, we got Mam-ma admitted to a room to rest and await the surgeon’s visit today.

The ER doctor was not sure that surgery was even an option for my grandmother, who will be 100 in November. But after discussing all possible outcomes, we agreed that we had to try to repair the hip and hope that she will recover. The doctors have cautioned us that there is as much as a 50% fatality rate within the three years following hip surgery. We know that nothing is certain at this point.

As I entered the hospital this morning, I read a scripture passage that hangs above the cafeteria door… 1 Peter 5:7. Of course, this was exactly what I needed – and I know that God knew this! His promise to handle my worries has enabled me to make the necessary decisions today… and to be at peace with them. I don’t know what lies ahead for my grandmother, but I have put it all at the feet of Jesus, and I know that He will care for us perfectly.

Turning our worries over to God is not always easy – we so want to pick them up and try to handle things on our own. But I can tell you that this is wasted energy and pretty much never works out well. Cast all your cares on God… He cares for you… He can handle anything… and He is willing and waiting to do exactly that!

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: