Daily Devotional for May 11, 2012

James 1:2-4
Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

This morning, my mother phoned me early to say she was headed onto the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina… a road which she had never traveled. Her husband, Lee, and his son and son-in-law were on a week-long bicycle trip on the Parkway, and Lee had taken ill. He was hospitalized, and Mother was leaving the campground in which she was staying in Asheville… headed to find the three men. She was clearly shaken and said, “Please pray for me… I’m entering unfamiliar territory.”

Some four hours later, Mother phoned to tell me that she had arrived, and Lee was fine. They were loading the bikes and gear and heading back to their motorhome in Asheville. Hopefully, in a couple of days they will be back at home, safe and sound.

I let a few close friends and relatives know this morning what was happening… including Mother and Lee’s pastor… who is my lifelong friend. He replied with a beautiful prayer – for my mother’s husband… for her safety… and for our own fears to be calmed in the mix. I told him, “I’ve never been prayed for via e-mail before… but I like it!”

Instantly, I was calmer. I was reminded of my faith and WHO is in charge at all times. Under pressure, my faith-life came to the forefront as my friend talked to God on our behalf and ministered to us. On Joel Osteen’s Facebook wall, I read the following quote: “God will not allow a challenge to come into our life unless He has a divine purpose for it. Nothing in life happens to us; it happens for us.”

I don’t yet fully know the purpose of this challenge. I’m not sure what God is trying to tell my mom and her husband. But I do know how He used this event for me. God clearly reminded me that, in all that has been happening lately in my little corner of the world, HE is still in charge. I am surrounded by many people who stand in agreement with me for His will to be done.

Whatever challenges you are facing – and I’d bet you are facing a few – they are not wasted. God has a divine purpose for them. Ask Him to show you what is happening for you in these trials… ask God to reveal to you what He has in mind. Don’t ask “Why me?” or even “What next?” Ask Him, “What do you want me to learn from this? What is Your purpose… and how do you want me to proceed?” Then listen for His answers, calm your spirit, and get ready to be amazed at His answers.

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: