Daily Devotional for May 7, 2012

May 7 ~ 2 Corinthians 1:4-7
He comforts us when we are in trouble, so that we can share that same comfort with others in trouble. We share in the terrible sufferings of Christ, but also in the wonderful comfort he gives. We suffer in the hope that you will be comforted and saved. And because we are comforted, you will also be comforted, as you patiently endure suffering like ours. You never disappoint us. You suffered as much as we did, and we know that you will be comforted as we were.

James 1:12
God will bless you, if you don’t give up when your faith is being tested. He will reward you with a glorious life, just as he rewards everyone who loves him.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Anyone who has ever spent time “hospital sitting” will understand me when I say that my faith has been tested, and I we’ve been in trouble more than once this week. Last night, my grandmother muttered, “I’m worried about you.” I reminded her of the scripture from Galatians 6 and Isaiah 41 in yesterday’s devotional… how God has his arms around us – and as long as I am doing what I am supposed to in caring for her and helping her, He will help me. “You believe that, don’t you?” I asked. “Yes,” she nodded.

We wonder why suffering is allowed… why such challenges are given to us… but truly, we just don’t see what God is doing behind the scenes. As I think back to the nurse’s aide who gleaned information from my sister about getting a Health Information Services degree… to the R.N. who shared her concern over rearing her grandson while also taking her mother for a scan today to see if she is cancer-free following surgery and treatment… to the friends we met who also had loved ones hospitalized, I realize that God used us to help others even as others helped us! So many people were blessed by my grandmother’s smile and gentle spirit. Housekeepers stopped by just to hold her hand for a few minutes. Doctors marveled at her long life and how so many people love and care for her.

My grandmother has been blessed with a glorious life. There have been challenges… and times when I’m sure her faith has been tested. She has suffered terribly at times. But she has been comforted, and she has not given up. Now, at nearly 100 years of age, she asks why it is taking so long to get to heaven, and I tell her that maybe God is still working on a mega-mansion for her!

I know that many of you are facing enormous challenges. As nurses and medical staff have passed through my grandmother’s room, I’ve picked up little snippets of information – enough to know that EVERYBODY has issues and struggles… some of them pretty huge! My prayer is that your faith is as big as your challenges… that even when you struggle, you do not give up. Remember Jesus and His sufferings… and that He is with you in your own trials. Hold fast to the promise of better days and the wonderful comfort of One who counts each of your tears and stores them in a bottle (Psalm 56:8). Remember to “Praise God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! The Father is a merciful God, who always gives us comfort.” May He give you comfort and renew your faith today… and always.

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: