Daily Devotional for May 6, 2012

Galatians 6:9
Don’t get tired of helping others. You will be rewarded when the time is right, if you don’t give up.

Isaiah 41:10
Don’t be afraid. I am with you. Don’t tremble with fear. I am your God. I will make you strong, as I protect you with my arm and give you victories.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

This is Day Six of my grandmother’s hospital stay. She still requires help with virtually everything… from being lifted and set in a chair to feeding and bathing. Countless people have worked continually to help her. This woman who has done so much for so many others now needs almost 100% care. She is being “rewarded when the time is right.” I am learning firsthand what Paul is teaching in Galatians 6:9… don’t grow weary… don’t give up… keep helping others in Jesus’ name. What goes around comes around… and while the reward is not our goal (or shouldn’t be), I can already see evidence of the blessings God gives to those who serve.

I turned on the television for my grandmother to distract her and give her something else on which to focus. She said she wanted to watch “church,” so I found Bro. Charles Stanley delivering a sermon. He’s one of her favorites. Bro. Stanley was preaching about fear and how it cripples us – how when we walk in fear, we aren’t truly exercising our faith and trusting God. He reminded us to picture God’s arms wrapped around us… strong arms that offer protection and fight our battles for us. Whatever we endure, we don’t have to fear - because God is handling things.

Again, I have seen incredible evidence of this in recent days. I have felt a calm and peace at every turn… even if those closest to me felt I was anything but serene! I have truly felt God’s hand in every detail… and I have been quite content to let Him guide me and protect my grandmother and the rest of us.

I may be a slow learner, but I am seeing the promises of God… and learning to walk in them! And in my weariness, I am restored and renewed by these promises… and by those who are serving us tirelessly. I am continually strengthened by God’s loving arms… and the angels He sends to serve in His name. I pray that whatever you are facing today – or may face in days to come – you feel this same strength and protection… that angels come to minister to your every need… and that you are inspired to serve as God directs you.

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: