Daily Devotional for May 3, 2012

Hosea 6:1-3
Let’s return to the Lord. He has torn us to shreds, but he will bandage our wounds and make us well. In two or three days he will heal us and restore our strength that we may live with him. Let’s do our best to know the Lord. His coming is as certain as the morning sun; he will refresh us like rain renewing the earth in the springtime.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I am sitting in the hospital with my grandmother, and she is crying out in pain. It is a hard thing to endure…watching her suffer. The natural instinct would be to cry out to God and ask WHY this little faithful servant of His must go through such an ordeal. Why, at almost 100 years old, must her life include such a miserable challenge.

I opened my Kindle this morning to read from God Calling – a daily devotional book. With all of this “excitement,” I had not read from this book in a few days, so my first “devo” was for April 28 – Hosea 6:1-3. Isn’t that just like God to give me exactly what I need today? I can’t begin to tell you how comforted I was to read that what God has allowed to be “torn to shreds,” He will bandage and make well. He will restore strength as sure as morning sun or refreshing rain.

So as much as it breaks my heart to hear my grandmother cry out in pain, I am at peace… knowing that God is holding her in the palm of His hand. He is using this experience for His good… as He has worked in and through her for almost a century. I don’t know who my grandmother is touching in God’s name… or how He is at work. But I know that He is not wasting a minute of this… and one way or another, my Mam-ma Polly will be ultimately refreshed and restored.

I don’t know what challenges you today… what pain and suffering you may experience… or how God will work in and through you. But I know that He will… and I pray that you find His peace and comfort…and rest in His promises for complete healing. To God be the glory for His amazing grace and mercy, now and forever. Amen.

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: