Daily Devotional for May 18, 2012

John 15:7-10
But if you make yourselves at home with me and my words are at home in you, you can be sure that whatever you ask will be listened to and acted upon. This is how my Father shows who he is—when you produce grapes, when you mature as my disciples.

"I've loved you the way my Father has loved me. Make yourselves at home in my love. If you keep my commands, you'll remain intimately at home in my love. That's what I've done—kept my Father's commands and made myself at home in his love.

I have loved you, just as my Father has loved me. So remain faithful to my love for you. If you obey me, I will keep loving you, just as my Father keeps loving me, because I have obeyed him.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Think about a time you were in an uncomfortable situation. Have you ever been to someone’s home…or to a party, place of business, or some other sort of function where you felt out of place or uneasy? It’s a miserable feeling! Now think of a place where you always feel comfortable… envision the home of your friend or family member where you instantly want to kick off your shoes and settle in… a cozy, warm, inviting place you love to visit.

Now think about your relationship with God. Does this make you feel comfortable… or do you start to squirm a bit and feel uneasy? When you imagine yourself communicating with God… worshipping Him…seeking comfort… do you immediately feel warm and welcomed – peaceful and at rest?

I am a huge “homebody.” I hear people tell me that they do not enjoy staying at home. I am totally the opposite. I am comfortable, productive and busy, calm and at rest when I am at home. When my grandmother was hospitalized for a week, I was there with her every day. I would turn into our driveway at night and exhale a huge sigh of relief. Just the sight of our house made me feel loved and at peace.

You know the feeling when you kick off your “good clothes” and get into your comfortable sweats or pjs? That’s how it feels to be intimately at home in God’s love. This doesn’t mean you can get lazy and complacent in your faith… that you can expect God to listen and act upon your requests and meet all of your needs. That would be like me never leaving the house and expecting groceries to magically appear in our pantry and refrigerator! There is work to do… and effort must be put forth on our part. But we can do all things with the confidence that God is with us. He is our Safe Haven of comfort and rest. As long as we stay close to Him and operate within His will, we will feel at home in His presence.

Where is “home” for you these days? Are you comfortable in God’s presence - and with your “Spiritual self?” Have you wandered away and forgotten where you live? Isn’t it time to “turn into the driveway” and make yourself at home in God’s love? C’mon! Kick off your shoes and stay awhile. Operate in God’s commands - and settle in with His love and care.

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: