Daily Devotional for May 19, 2012

John 15:11-17
"I've told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature. This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you. This is the very best way to love. Put your life on the line for your friends. You are my friends when you do the things I command you. I'm no longer calling you servants because servants don't understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from the Father.

"You didn't choose me, remember; I chose you, and put you in the world to bear fruit, fruit that won't spoil. As fruit bearers, whatever you ask the Father in relation to me, he gives you.

"But remember the root command: Love one another.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

My sister, Mam-ma Polly, & me at a
Mother's Day luncheon on May 10, 2012.
When I read this passage, I immediately thought of my grandmother. We’ve spent a lot of time together - especially in the last three weeks since she fell and broke her leg. She is now confined to bed – unless aides lift her and place her in a nearby recliner for a few hours and a change of scenery. She is “in and out” of coherent sleep and coherent thoughts. But two days this week, she actually was pretty clear… and she asked about family members and friends. She said of one person, “I wish I was able to send her a note… but I can’t.” I assured her that I would contact this friend and let her know that Mam-ma thought of her. At almost 100 years old and in the end stages of life, my grandmother is still loving others and thinking of them.

To say that my grandmother has borne good fruit in her life would be an understatement. Yes, she is a mess at times… but she is our mess, and we love her dearly. She would give you her last dime if you needed it… with the assurance that “I’ll be praying for you.” Her first question of a new neighbor was always, “Would you like to stay for dinner (what she calls lunch) or supper?”… followed by “Where do y’all go to church?”

I’ve watched this woman live out Jesus’ command in John 15 for almost 55 years… and I hope I have learned from her. I’ve seen God’s promises fulfilled in her life… and the joy He has given her in even the most extreme and tragic circumstances. And even today as she struggles with unbearable pain and human indignities, she asks about other people.

The question is… are we loving one another? Have we learned from the examples of Godly people like my grandmother? Do we understand just how fully God operates in and through us when we put our own life on the line – or set aside our own troubles - for our friends? I am grateful for this incredible example that God has set before me. I am inspired to live well for however long God grants me on this earth… to love others in His name… and to bear good fruit that will never spoil. Are you?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: