Daily Devotional for May 31, 2012

Philippians 4:10-14
I'm glad in God, far happier than you would ever guess—happy that you're again showing such strong concern for me. Not that you ever quit praying and thinking about me. You just had no chance to show it. Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. I don't mean that your help didn't mean a lot to me—it did. It was a beautiful thing that you came alongside me in my troubles.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

If you had to describe your perfect day, what would it include? Would you need to go somewhere, be with a lot of friends and/or family, or dine in fancy restaurants? Would you find yourself living someone else’s life… maybe sitting poolside in a mansion on the beach, dripping in expensive clothing and jewelry, with sports cars and high-dollar rides in the garage and a limo at your beck and call? Would you hang out with A-list celebrities and attend all of the high-profile functions? Would your body be tanned and toned… your muscles “ripped” and your skin wrinkle-free? Would you have a head of perfectly coiffed, thick, beautiful hair? Would you be a mega-millionaire who never had to work another day in his/her life? Would you be 100% healthy and fit?

Now think about where you are today… what God has presented you with for THIS day. How does it stack up to your “perfect” day? What is the difference? Do you find that the most glaring contrast is your attitude? I have a little daily calendar on my desk with a quip or quote for each day. Today’s words were actually a joke about a little girl who attended her first wedding and asked her mom why the bride wore white? The mom told her that “White is the color of happiness, and this is the happiest day of her life.” The child then asked, “So why is the groom wearing black?” See… it’s all a matter of attitude!

What is your mindset today? Are you quite content whatever your circumstances? Do you find the “perfection” in small things each day… recognizing that God has blessed you and made you – and with Him, you can make it through anything? Do you appreciate your blessings… family, friends, health, food, clothing, shelter, and yes – material belongings? Are you truly satisfied with your life? If the answer is “No,” the problem is probably a lack of confidence in your relationship with God, rather than personal need.

Spend some time in prayer. Ask God to settle your heart and mind… to give you a sense of contentment in Him that pervades any and all physical circumstances. Learn to live in the serenity of knowing Whose you are… and appreciating His daily dose of grace, mercy, love and blessings. Be well and happy every day, because you are His. Everything else is just the icing on the cake!

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: