Daily Devotional for June 1, 2012

Philippians 4:6-7
Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

The saying goes… “If you want to make God laugh… tell Him your plans!” At least once a day, my husband and I ask each other, “What’s your plan for today/tomorrow?” Most often, the answer is, “I really don’t have one.” We’ve learned to plan for the unexpected… that each day is different… and most plans need to be fairly “loose!” So when something arises to change our plans, we try very hard to “go with the flow”… to let God guide our days and nights and free us of worries and concerns when things take a left turn!

Life is about the journey, and the most important part of living in Spiritual maturity lies in how we make the journey. If we act like someone who is not a Christian when things go wrong or we don’t get “our way”… when our plans are interrupted… what is the point of trusting God? Who would believe us anyway?

I will be the first to admit that there are times when I panic… or when I get disgruntled and disappointed because I had something planned and it didn’t happen as I had hoped. But I’m also learning that life is what happens when we show up. If we will stay close to God in prayer and ask Him, “What are YOUR plans for me today/tomorrow?”… He will show us amazing things. And when we hit a bump in the road, we should learn to say, “Okay, LORD… this was not what I expected. I’m asking You to handle this, because I cannot.”

Let’s learn to live in the sense of God’s wholeness… to settle down and replace worry with a focus on Jesus. Let’s show others that the life of a mature, Spirit-filled Christian has no room for panic and frustration over plans that changed directions or didn’t materialize. Let’s show the devil that he doesn’t matter… that GOD is bigger than anything he throws at us. Life is a journey… and with God alongside, the trip can be something quite amazing!

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: