Daily Devotional for June 6, 2012

Ecclesiastes 2:24
There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God.

Scripture taken from the The King James Version present on BibleGateway.com, which matches the 1987 printing. The KJV is public domain in the United States.

This morning I cooked a big breakfast. Then I cleaned the kitchen and even ran the vacuum. The kitchen floor felt a little sticky, so I ran the steam mop. Not wanting to step across the freshly steamed floor (in other words, I was in a hurry!), I jerked the plug from the outlet, and as the cord hung on something, I gave it another tug. I also pulled a Pyrex measuring pitcher off the counter in the bargain and broke it into smithereens on the freshly cleaned floor! Then I had to vacuum and mop again!

I could easily have gotten upset about this… and at one time, I would have had a really good pity party over it. But today, I looked around at my house that I love and thought of how blessed I am. I thanked God for a good vacuum, bright light to see the tiniest slivers of glass, and the fact that I am healthy, well, and have such a rich, full life. Sure, this delayed my plans to spend the afternoon sewing, but so what?! I vowed to be happy in the meantime.

In my prayer journal/sermon notes, I have written the following quotes alongside this verse. I believe they were from Joyce Meyer.
  • “God didn’t put you with the person you are with so you could put them on the Potter’s wheel every day and try to rework them.” In other words, other people are not going to make us happy every minute of the day… but that isn’t their job – and it’s not ours to try to “fix” them!
  • “Examine what you’re doing, and if it’s not working… don’t keep doing it!” I think this one explains itself!
  • “Show by our actions that we trust God… not just in our words.” This is a tough one for some of us, but a good start is not letting the “broken glasses” of our world ruin our day!
  • “Being content doesn’t mean we don’t seek change… it just means we are happy in the meantime. It’s about the journey. Learn to love the dirt! Stop trying to be ‘Holy Ghost, Jr.!”
I won’t go into all of the particulars, but I am really working on learning to let some things go… to “love the dirt,” so to speak. I am learning that God has the last word… and it is always perfect. In The Message, part of this scripture says that God decides whether we feast or fast… and how we react to that says a lot about our level of faith.

Are you “happy in the meantime?” Are you embracing every part of your life’s journey – the feasts AND the dirt? Do your actions reflect a trust in God? Who – and what – are you trying to change by your own power? Isn’t it time relinquish our self-appointed title of “Holy Ghost, Jr.” and truly recognize the hand of God in every aspect of our lives? Is this the day we will begin to make our souls enjoy good in His labor? Shouldn’t we?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: