Daily Devotional for June 16, 2012

Genesis 50:16-21
So they sent Joseph a message, "Before his death, your father gave this command: Tell Joseph, 'Forgive your brothers' sin—all that wrongdoing. They did treat you very badly.' Will you do it? Will you forgive the sins of the servants of your father's God?”

When Joseph received their message, he wept.

Then the brothers went in person to him, threw themselves on the ground before him and said, "We'll be your slaves."

Joseph replied, "Don't be afraid. Do I act for God? Don't you see, you planned evil against me but God used those same plans for my good, as you see all around you right now—life for many people. Easy now, you have nothing to fear; I'll take care of you and your children." He reassured them, speaking with them heart-to-heart.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

19th-Century German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche said, “What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.” And truly, some of our most powerful – and effective – lessons are learned through adversity. The ability to see the positive side of a tough situation is a talent many of us could use!

The cool thing is that God can show each of us how to find the blessings in the “bad stuff”…to say, “That guy actually did me a favor” or “This really worked out pretty well.” I know in my own life that there have been times when I wanted to be so angry with someone over how they treated me – or I wanted to be mad and upset about unplanned circumstances and how they “ruined my day.” But when I stopped and took a hard look at what I gained from the experience, my negative feelings began to fade. I won’t say they always disappeared, but let’s just say they were not so near the surface!

A lot of this is nothing more than a resentment we harbor against someone or something. I can tell you that nobody suffers more from a grudge than the person who holds it. If you really want to live in joy and abundance, let it go. Take a page from Joseph’s book… recognize that what others plan against you for evil, God can use for good. Realize that “life happens.” The key is to stay faithful to God… close to Him in every way – at all times – and to be fully attuned to His will and desires for your life, rather than those of others.

Joseph had it right. We are not God… but we are not to be a doormat for others, either. We are to operate fully in the will of God and trust Him to show us –and others - positive aspects and outcomes for every situation. It may be hard at times. We may feel like we are going to die in the process – or possibly suffer a broken heart or public embarrassment beyond repair. And yes, we may get a little frustrated when things don’t go as we planned. But God will take care of this, too. He will meet our needs at all times - if only we will let Him. GOD will handle any “revenge” necessary. He will bless us even in adversity… and that will make all the difference.

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: