Daily Devotional for June 9, 2012

Psalm 90:10, 12
We can expect seventy years, or maybe eighty, if we are healthy, but even our best years bring trouble and sorrow. Suddenly our time is up, and we disappear.

Teach us to use wisely all the time we have.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

For the first twenty-five-plus years of my adult life, I lived and breathed by a schedule and calendar. In my years as a teacher, I planned everything around the school year and scheduled holidays. When I was not in summer school, I mapped out my summer days – to some degree - trying to get everything I felt I had to get done finished within the first week or two so I could “relax” and enjoy the rest of the break. I would frantically spend the first week or two of June doing all of my heavy house cleaning, any “summer sewing” and getting other “obligations” out of the way.

At the end of the summer break, I would allow a couple of weeks or more to get ready to go back to school… cleaning again, making meals to put in the freezer, and then actually working at school to get my room ready for the new class. I used to plan weekly menus – and stick to them! I have “to-do” lists from those years that would probably stack inches high on my desk. And yes, if you saw my laundry room filled with fabrics and crafts items waiting to become my latest project, you would say I still have “to-do” lists of sorts!

Now that I have the luxury of retirement and don’t have to plan my life around a work schedule, I can enjoy “going with the flow” more. There are many days when I say to myself – or anyone within earshot, “I got so much more done when I was working!” But at the same time, I have to ask myself if I really made every day count in the bargain.

In my notes, I have written that “the value of dying is that it makes us aware of how limited time is. Our days are numbered! Make every day count for God!” I have learned the hard way that a lot of what we think is important – or makes us happy – is more about appearances and pleasing others than satisfying ourselves… much less God.

So here are a few things I have learned along the way...
  1. It is okay to pick and choose. I have opted to spend time with my grandmother instead of attending the funeral of one of her friends. I have learned to say “No!” rather than stretch myself too thinly. A dear “other-mother” friend of mine told a mutual friend once, “’No!’ can be a holy answer!” My former pastor told me that “’No!” is a complete sentence!”
  2. Spending time on my own health and fitness benefits everyone… not just me. If I don’t take care of myself physically, mentally and spiritually, I cannot help those who need me… not to mention that God wants me to be the best “me” possible. (see point #1)
  3. If I get to the end of a busy, productive day and didn’t plan a meal for dinner, there is always peanut butter – or carry-out!
  4. “To-do” lists are great things… we should have goals. But just because something is on “the list” doesn’t mean the world will crash down around you if it doesn’t get done!
  5. Relationships are more important than crossing something off the list. A walk in the park with my husband trumps a clean floor any day. Ditto for time spent with our little ones, a phone conversation with a friend or family member, and dropping everything to comfort someone who is in need.
Don’t kid yourself… I still will stay up half the night to write cards to friends, update a blog, make a dress for my little great niece, or watch mindless drivel on television. I have days when I don’t feel like I accomplished much – and as I like to say, I “piddled” all day. But I am trying to look at each day with fresh eyes…to see the gift that God has given me… and not to waste a minute of it. Even “piddling” is sometimes a good use of a day, if it refreshes and rejuvenates us for what God wants us to do next. The key is not to string too many of these days together… or get in a rut of doing too much or too little all the time!

I suggest that we start each day with a prayer of thanksgiving for the gift of a new day. Ask God to show you what He has planned for your day… and work your own “to-do” list around His! Our days are numbered, but God can show us how to make every single one count. Are you wisely using all the time that you have?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: