Daily Devotional for June 30, 2012

James 5:19-20
My dear friends, if you know people who have wandered off from God's truth, don't write them off. Go after them. Get them back and you will have rescued precious lives from destruction and prevented an epidemic of wandering away from God.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

One day last week, I made tuna salad. As I opened the cans of tuna fish, my cat, Lucy, came into the kitchen and began to cry and rub my legs. I have never given Lucy and Mabel tuna fish. They get a small spoonful of canned cat food each night, but never “human” food! I was tempted to give Lucy a small bite of the tuna, but I knew from experience with our first two cats that this would start something that I could never reverse!

We could apply this same principle to how we treat others… we cannot get this started! When someone wanders off track… engages in behavior that is irresponsible at best… or even downright immoral or ungodly… we must not dismiss them. We must never say, “Well, I tried… I gave it my best… but I’m done.” We most certainly cannot become disgusted and give up on them. If we give up on others, this will have a cumulative effect. We will find it easier and easier to throw up our hands, concede defeat and walk away. And the devil will dance.

Jesus never gives up on us. If we want to be like Him, we can never give up on others, either. We must continue to pray and trust God for His will to be manifested. We have to stay positive and faithful. We don’t need to preach and lecture. But we must maintain contact and offer love and kindness… let the other person know we still care - no matter what.

I can’t tell you how or when things will turn around… or if you will ever physically see the results of your efforts. I can assure you that if/when someone who has wandered away does make a change, you will be blessed… and so glad you didn’t give up on him/her. Either way, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you did what God asked of you… that you persisted in showing love, grace, mercy and forgiveness. Never let it be said of you that these attributes have limits in your life. Love as Jesus did… without conditions or constraints.

Be ready to go the distance for others, just as Jesus does for us. And if/when the person does come back to God’s truth, be grateful… not for what you have done, but for how generous and dependable our Heavenly Father is toward each of us. Humble yourself and thank God for allowing you to play even the smallest part in showing unconditional love – and persistent faith – to others. This is not only our duty… it’s our privilege as Christians and Disciples of Christ. Are you doing your part to be the hands and feet of Jesus to others? Isn’t it time you did?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: