Daily Devotional for June 14, 2012

Matthew 6:19-21
Don't store up treasures on earth! Moths and rust can destroy them, and thieves can break in and steal them. Instead, store up your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy them, and thieves cannot break in and steal them. Your heart will always be where your treasure is.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

After my husband and I both graduated from college, we moved back to Heber Springs and worked for one year. The following year, we got an opportunity to return to Russellville, Arkansas, where we had attended college. I applied for a teaching job and received a call for an interview. I wore the only decent dress I had… made by my mother from green polka dot jersey knit. About two weeks later, I was called back for a second interview. I didn’t have another dress to wear… or time to shop for one. Clothing stores were not exactly on every corner of Heber Springs in 1977 – and there were no malls in nearby towns. So I had no choice but to wear the same dress to the second interview.

After all of the questions had been asked and I stood to leave, the school superintendent asked, “Isn’t that is the same dress you wore to the first interview?” Embarrassed that he remembered, I replied, “Yes, sir, it is.” “It looks very nice,” he replied with a smile. Pleasantly surprised – and relieved – I thanked him and hurried from the building. I got the job… and the superintendent, became a friend and mentor over the next eight years.

I don’t know if my superintendent realized that I could only afford one decent dress… or wearing the same dress to both interviews made me more memorable to him and the rest of the interview panel. But I like to think that I was judged on my merits and my resume… and not on whether or not I had a closet full of beautiful clothes. I learned two things from this experience: 1) I probably needed at least one more dress in my wardrobe, and 2) substance trumps surplus.

One school year, I conducted an experiment. I created enough “uniforms” for two consecutive weeks. One week, I mixed and matched a pair of pants, a skirt, a sweater and a blouse to create five outfits for work. The next week, I did the same thing with about a half dozen clothing items in a different color scheme. Nobody ever mentioned that I was wearing the same clothes over and again. Nobody complained about my teaching ability. I had less laundry and more time. I didn’t have to spend as much time thinking about what I was going to wear. I had confidence that I was neatly clothed, and I was free to concentrate on my students, my work, and my personal life.

I will admit… after several weeks, I got tired of wearing the same things over and over… I’m not a big fan of uniforms for the long haul! But how many of us have closets filled with clothes - and we open the doors and say, “I have nothing to wear.” By and large, we have become mass consumers who are largely insatiable. We constantly need more STUFF!

There is nothing wrong with having nice clothes – or the latest gadget or gizmo. Living in abundance is neither a sin nor a crime. But when STUFF becomes our focus… this is a whole other matter! For many of us, the focus of our worship has become our things… homes, cars, clothing, and gadgets. We would rather shop for new shoes than spend time helping the hungry and homeless. We are willing to buy clothing for someone in need… but only if we can buy something for ourselves, too. We will give what we can of our time, talents and money… but only after we have taken care of Numero Uno!

All you have to do is go to a couple or three estate sales and see what “moths and rust” do to STUFF! The things of this world do not make us better friends, teachers, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, ministers, or disciples. What matters is our relationship – with God first, and then with others. If you really want to live in abundance, you have to trim the fat – in every area of your life. You have to focus on the treasures of heaven – living for Jesus and serving as His hands and feet in this lifetime – and care little for the things of this world.

This is not a call to toss all of your clothes and wear the same thing every day. I’m not suggesting you sell your car, home and all of your belongings and live in a pup tent. The key is balance… and single-mindedness – on Jesus Christ. When you store up “treasures of heaven” and help to build the Kingdom of God, earthly blessings and provisions will follow. You will always have plenty. Your closets and shelves may not be full… but your heart will be overflowing. Where is your focus... where are you storing up treasures?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: