Daily Devotional for June 11, 2012

Psalm 51:7-17
Soak me in your laundry and I'll come out clean, scrub me and I'll have a snow-white life. Tune me in to foot-tapping songs, set these once-broken bones to dancing. Don't look too close for blemishes, give me a clean bill of health. God, make a fresh start in me, shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life. Don't throw me out with the trash, or fail to breathe holiness in me. Bring me back from gray exile, put a fresh wind in my sails! Give me a job teaching rebels your ways so the lost can find their way home. Commute my death sentence, God, my salvation God, and I'll sing anthems to your life-giving ways. Unbutton my lips, dear God; I'll let loose with your praise.

Going through the motions doesn't please you, a flawless performance is nothing to you. I learned God-worship when my pride was shattered. Heart-shattered lives ready for love don't for a moment escape God's notice.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

This particular Psalm was written by King David, after the prophet Nathan told him that God was displeased about his indiscretions with Bathsheba - and the murder of her husband, Uriah. Because of this, God was not going to allow the baby they conceived to live. In 2 Samuel 12:13-14, we read… David said, “I have disobeyed the LORD.” “Yes, you have!” Nathan answered. “You showed you didn’t care what the LORD wanted. He has forgiven you, and you won’t die. But your newborn son will.”

Naturally, David was distressed. More importantly, he was truly broken… and repentant. The next verses tell us that David refused to eat or sleep, laid on the floor and begged God to spare the baby. When the baby died, David dressed, ate, and worshiped God. And because of his heartfelt repentance and broken spirit, God forgave David and blessed him. He even gave another son to David and Bathsheba… the future King Solomon.

Take away a couple of things from this. First, don’t be fooled into thinking you can do as you please, be sorry for what you’ve done, and expect God to forgive you and bless you as he did King David! This story and Psalm 51 are not license to do as we please and expect God to redeem us over and again. Going through the motions does not please God. Secondly, recognize that the only sacrifice that is truly acceptable to God is a broken spirit. This means we must recognize where we have fallen short or failed and genuinely come before God in a spirit of total humility and remorse. We have to have an “I-will-never-ever-ever-do-that-again!” attitude… and mean it!

Here’s the deal… God knows when we are sincere. He knows when we are approaching Him with a broken spirit – ready to receive His forgiveness and a fresh start… a “Genesis week,” or new beginning. He also knows when we are playing with Him! So examine your heart… approach God with a humble attitude and a sincere desire to change. Look at a broken spirit as a good thing… your first step toward truly living in Christ – and Christ living in you! Ask God to wash you as clean as snow-white laundry… and do whatever He requires to prove you are serious. Then praise Him over and again for His grace and mercy, a clean bill of health… and the opportunity to start over and live for Him.

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: