Daily Devotional for June 7, 2012

Psalm 90:1-2
God, it seems you've been our home forever; long before the mountains were born, long before you brought earth itself to birth, from "once upon a time" to "kingdom come"—you are God.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

I can’t tell you how many friends and former classmates I’ve talked with – in person or online – who live somewhere else and tell me, “I am really working toward moving back home. You are so lucky to live in Heber Springs. I want so badly to live there once again.” And indeed, we do live in a wonderful community. What makes this place so special for me is the beauty of this area and the relative simplicity of life here… but just as importantly, many of the other residents who share this community with me.

Like many people who have lived most of their lives in the same place, there is a “pull” to this area. This is home. The thing is… this place existed long before I came into existence… and it will be here long after I am gone. What has made it feel like “home” for me is the experience – the people, the atmosphere, the warmth, comfort, love and security I have felt here. I have lived other places. I could move tomorrow and learn to love another area and its people. But this will always be home for me. There will always be a connection to this community and many of the people in it – both past and present.

For us as Christians, GOD is “home”… forever! He is our warmth, comfort, love and security… our strength and the center of nurture. Long before God created the earth and all that is in it, He knew about us. Isn’t that amazing? Long after we are gone from this earth, GOD will still know our name. In God, we are always… ALWAYS… home!

Do you get a warm, fuzzy feeling when you think about your home town? Does the mention of your home town stir a sense of nostalgia… and evoke feelings of “belonging?” Do you feel this same way when you think about your relationship with God? Are you truly at home with Him? Have you connected with God in such a way that He represents “home” to you, no matter where you find yourself physically?

I encourage you to spend time with God… to get to know Him. Develop the kind of relationship with God that creates an atmosphere where you feel comfortable… where you want to settle in and spend even more time in His presence. Cultivate a relationship where the door is always open… and you always feel welcome… just like at home. Kick your Spiritual “shoes” off and stay a while. You may not be able to live in your physical home town, but God can be your home wherever you are. Have you found your home in Him?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: