Daily Devotional for May 12, 2012

Luke 10:17-20
When the seventy-two followers returned, they were excited and said, “Lord, even the demons obeyed when we spoke in your name!” Jesus told them: I saw Satan fall from heaven like a flash of lightning. I have given you the power to trample on snakes and scorpions and to defeat the power of your enemy Satan. Nothing can harm you. But don’t be happy because evil spirits obey you. Be happy that your names are written in heaven!

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

More than once, an actor or entertainer has stood before a crowd to accept an award and thanked numerous people… only to realize later they forgot to thank their spouse, family, parents, or someone else who was vital to their success. The excuse is always that they got caught up in the excitement of the moment. But the fact remains they failed to give credit where it was due.

As Christians, we do this a lot. We get so caught up in the “power trip” that we forget to credit the Power Source! We overcome a temptation or an addiction and we revel in our success. We praise God for His deliverance from difficult situations, trials and tribulations… and we should. But how often do we simply say, “LORD, thank You for saving me. Thank You for writing my name in the Lamb’s Book of Life! Thank You for preparing a place in Your kingdom for me for all Eternity!”?

I am as happy as anyone that the devil has no authority over me. He is a wannabe God, and he cannot hurt me. The devil is the last person I will fear or respect. And Satan is most certainly not the object of my focus! Offense is the devil’s number one tool… and distraction… and I am working diligently to remove all evidence of this menace from my life. At the same time, I am renewing my determination to totally live in Christ… to wake up every day grateful for what He has done for me… to recognize His beauty and blessings that surround me. Call it focusing on the positive more than the negative, if you will.

We have no trouble running to God when there is trouble or we are in need. But how often do we run to Him “just because?” Isn’t it time we focused more on what God does for us each and every day? Let’s acknowledge God’s power over the devil and his agents. But let’s leave the bragging and bravado behind in favor of a focus on genuine praise and appreciation for all that He has given us. Let’s concentrate on less on our victory over Satan and more on the promise of Heaven… and all that is yet to come!

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: