Daily Devotional for May 8, 2012

Philippians 2:12-13
What I'm getting at, friends, is that you should simply keep on doing what you've done from the beginning. When I was living among you, you lived in responsive obedience. Now that I'm separated from you, keep it up. Better yet, redouble your efforts. Be energetic in your life of salvation, reverent and sensitive before God. That energy is God's energy, an energy deep within you, God himself willing and working at what will give him the most pleasure.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Every single one of us knows someone who is on his/her best behavior around other people… but acts like a stinker the rest of the time. I’ve heard people say of a young child… “He/she doesn’t ever act like that when his dad is around,” or “So-and-so is a pretty nice guy to your face, but when you’re not around, she says awful things,” or “What’s-his-name is all about ministry when people are watching. But if there’s nothing in it for him, he won’t even show up.” Sadly, some rendition of these type of comments may fit even you and me!

We’ve all got excuses… “I was tired or stressed out”… “Everybody has an “off day”… “The devil made me do it!”… or even “I don’t know what came over me!” But the simple fact is that when we do not live in responsive obedience to God, our witness becomes miserably ineffective. And let’s be honest… if even one person sees us on an “off day,” and that is all he/she gets, our demonstration to that person of God at work in our lives was an “epic fail.”

Our constant prayer needs to be for God’s energy… that energy deep within you that permeates your very being and works for His pleasure even when you are exhausted. I have found myself repeating over and again lately, “I can do all things through Christ, Who strengthens me.” When you think you can’t be nice… when you are so tired you can’t put one foot in front of another… when the task seems incredibly daunting… remember WHO is giving you strength and energy.

Keep on doing what you’ve done from the beginning. Live in responsive obedience. Redouble your efforts to be energetic, reverent, and sensitive. Allow God to give you energy beyond anything you could ever imagine… and work at what gives Him pleasure. God will energize you and bless your efforts… and that’s the essence of a disciple’s life. Are you an energized disciple today?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: