Daily Devotional for April 16, 2016

John 10:7-13
…so he explained it to them.

“I am the Gate for the sheep,” he said. “All others who came before me were thieves and robbers. But the true sheep did not listen to them. Yes, I am the Gate. Those who come in by way of the Gate will be saved and will go in and out and find green pastures. The thief’s purpose is to steal, kill and destroy. My purpose is to give life in all its fullness.

“I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. A hired man will run when he sees a wolf coming and will leave the sheep, for they aren’t his and he isn’t their shepherd. And so the wolf leaps on them and scatters the flock. The hired man runs because he is hired and has no real concern for the sheep.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

A few years ago, my mother-in-law came over for dinner one spring evening.  As she left, Greg and I walked her out onto our porch and toward her car, which was parked just a few feet away on our driveway.  Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of something.  I looked over and saw what turned out to be a more-than-five-foot-long rat snake wound around the base of our wrought iron lantern.  I promptly screamed and ran back inside the house – leaving Greg and his mother standing on the driveway!  I was the “hired man” who deserted his flock!

Yes, I am that afraid of snakes!  Hopefully, had I been with the little children rather than two grown adults, I would have remained a bit more calm and ushered them to safety.  And thankfully, this big guy was relatively harmless and slithered on his way about a half hour later…hopefully to protect our yard from the poisonous reptiles that could actually do us some harm!

In life, we are so often like the “hired man.”  At the first sign of trouble or controversy, we tuck tail and run.  And I get that there are times when it is appropriate to say, “Not my circus – not my monkeys.”  But there are lots of times when Jesus is calling us to trust Him…to stay in step with Him and trust that He’s got our back.  There are moments when we must stand up and demonstrate Christian faith, love, grace, mercy, compassion and forgiveness – even when many would turn and run. 

We hear Jesus calling us to stand up for what He has taught us…to remain calm and stand still in the presence of the snake.  And we have a choice…to remain faithful that He’s got our back and do what He asks…or turn away – and essentially deny His sovereignty in our lives.  It’s often a tough call…I get that!  But how deep IS your faith?  How much do you really trust Jesus to know better than you?

It is time for us to stand our ground with Jesus…to take what may often be an unpopular position as we declare Him the final authority in our lives – and our every thought and action.  The end results will be amazing…of that I am certain.  And I’m all in…what about you? 

Will this be the day that you stand firmly behind Jesus…or scream and run away from the “snakes” of this world?  Who is your good Shepherd…and do you really know Him?  Isn’t it time you did?


© Debbie Robus

No comments: