Daily Devotional for April 5, 2016

Exodus 20:5
You must never bow or worship it in any way; for I, the Lord your God, am very possessive. I will not share your affection with any other god!

“And when I punish people for their sins, the punishment continues upon the children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren of those who hate me;
 
The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Greg and I have been in “purge mode” of late…sorting through closets and cleaning out the clutter.  There is nothing like the death of a loved one – and the necessity to sort through THEIR belongings and decide what to keep – to motivate one to clean out his/her own “stuff!”  So as I have been spending a good deal of time sorting through my mother’s things and deciding what is important to me to keep – and what to pass on for someone else to sort – I have come to some (for me) stark realizations.

Here’s the first one…anything can become an idol…including our “stuff!”  We hang onto all sorts of things and place far too much importance on them for what are sometimes irrational reasons.  Realizing this has helped me to let go of Valentines and birthday cards from my toddler years…old newspaper clippings…and more.  Innovations like scanners and digital cameras that can preserve an image of some of the more historical and sentimental pieces has revolutionized this process – and helped me to let go of a lot of things I would otherwise cling to as a “treasure” with which I could not part.

Additionally, I’ve had to ask myself…”Will I really use this?  Will I read this book, or will it collect dust on my shelf?  Could someone else enjoy this sheet music that I have no interest in – other than the fact that it belonged to my family?”  If the answer is negative in any way, the items have to go!  A dear friend who has “inherited” in recent years made the comment that [paraphrased] “My house is filled with the past rather than the future.”  And the past – or relics from it – can also become our “idol.”

We are not to worship the belongings of others…and as I am learning, the memories such items evoke are still there, even when the “treasure” has been discarded.  This is not disrespectful to the person who cherished or accumulated these things.  And if the truth be told…many of the items I have sorted through lately were buried like a time capsule for 50 years or more – and nobody had given them a second thought!  So why are they suddenly so important again?  Let’s enjoy the memory…snap a photo or two – or make a scanned image – then let it go!

I come from a long line of certified pack rats!  If you could have seen my maternal grandfather’s desk (and I literally mean, if you could have SEEN it!) – then my mother’s office – you would understand why Mother always said that my messy desk “is so neat and organized!” (It’s not!)  So I totally get the part of this passage about “curses” continuing to future generations!

What does this mean for us in a Spiritual context?  Again, I must say…ANYTHING can become an idol.  It can be money, possessions, work, another person, our hobby…or even our STUFF and that of other people who are/were significant to us!  We get so caught up in all of these things – and the “idol worship” – that we lose focus on God.  My
Jesus Calling* entry for today talked about seeking Jesus – and how He runs after those who run after Him. Let’s be honest…if we are busy pursuing other “idols,” there won’t be time and energy – much less a desire – to run after God.

When we put our relationship with Jesus Christ first – and seek His will and word for our lives, other things fall into place.  The priorities tend to order themselves properly – and we have time for work, relationships, hobbies, and even relaxation.  It becomes apparent what clutter and “junk” are necessary and significant – and what needs to find a new home (maybe even the dumpster!). 

As you go about your day, seek Jesus at every turn.  Talk to Him…ask Him if you are on the right course.  Make your conversation/relationship with Jesus the most important part of your day, and everything else will come into focus with amazing clarity.  Figure out what you have made into an idol…and ask God to help you re-align your priorities.  Jesus seeks those who seek Him and worship HIM above all else.  Are YOU one of those?  Isn’t it time you were?


©2016 Debbie Robus

*www.JesusCalling.com

No comments: