Daily Devotional for April 21, 2016

John 14:15-21
“If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

I honestly do not know how people function without faith.  After my mother died, someone commented to me one day about how they felt like an orphan when both of her parents had passed.  And I totally get that…it’s a really different feeling to realize that you have no parents living on this earth. All of my parents and grandparents are in heaven now.  All of those heavy influences in my life are gone.  But at the same time…they are still with me in so many ways. 

I think of my parents every time I pass the china hutch and see their wedding dishes on display there. I look at old photos and remember happy times – and they are with me.  I get out my heavy cast iron Dutch oven and cook something, and Mam-ma Polly is standing right beside me. One of the children curls up his/her mouth in a little smirky smile…and there’s my dad!  More importantly, I hear their sage advice and Christian wisdom echo in my ear as I go about my day.  I think of something I really would like to share with them…and realize that they already know!

In even a more profound way, Jesus is always with us. We may be reminded of His presence if we see a cross or other religious symbol…but it’s so much more than that.  When we read scripture, the Holy Spirit speaks to us.  When you start to “like” that ugly comment on Facebook, and “something” stops you…that’s Jesus speaking to you through His Holy Spirit! 
       
When you are fearful or nervous…lonely or upset…and a sudden “calm” washes over you…that is your Advocate providing you with peace and courage.  When you pray and ask God for answers…and they come…you are keenly aware that He is with you and meeting your needs. When something wonderful happens in your life, and you are filled with incredible joy and elation…you know that the Holy Spirit is celebrating with you – and cheering you on!

Again I say, it must feel incredibly empty to try to live without Jesus and His Holy Spirit.  The sense of loneliness and hopelessness must be overwhelming at times.  I am so grateful that I belong to Jesus and do not have to experience this.  I am thankful that He has not only filled my heart with His truth in the form of the Holy Spirit…but He has also given me the confidence that my loved ones are waiting for me with Him in Heaven. 

I do my very best to keep Jesus’ commands and honor this incredible gift…confident that He will never leave me or let me falter.  Ours is a relationship that I want to nurture at every turn...and you can have this same connection. Paraphrasing the old hymn says…”Because Jesus lives [and His Holy Spirit is my Advocate and constant Truth]…I can face tomorrow.”  What about you?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: