Daily Devotional for April 4, 2016

Ephesians 5:2
Be full of love for others, following the example of Christ who loved you and gave himself to God as a sacrifice to take away your sins. And God was pleased, for Christ’s love for you was like sweet perfume to him.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

This morning, Nathan brushed the crumbs from his lunch onto the kitchen floor.  I fussed at him and told him…”This does not make me happy.  When you finish eating, we’re going to pick all of that up and put it into your napkin to throw away.”  I looked into his little face, and I saw a look of devastation. His eyes welled with tears, and his lip swelled and protruded.  I know that this can sometimes be a manipulative ploy by children to get out of a troubling situation.  But this little guy was genuinely crushed to think that I was not happy with him.

I hugged Nathan and told him, “It will be okay…we’ll pick up together…but you cannot ever throw your food on the floor again.  That is not nice, and it does not make me happy.” Nathan softened a bit, but then he looked at me and said, “You cannot ever act like that again!”  I had to turn away so that he would not see how hard I was trying to stifle a laugh!  At the end of the day, we do love these little ones…even in the “teachable moments.”

When Nathan finished eating, we cleaned up the floor together.  And I gently reminded him that this was never to happen again, although I am sure we will have to repeat this lesson a few more times.  And this is exactly how it is with Jesus.  He has to tell us repeatedly how to live…remind us not to sin…and help us clean up the mess we make of our lives.  Jesus is probably disappointed with many of us – myself among them – on an hourly basis.  But still, He loves us so much that He was willing to be beaten, tortured, and crucified so that we would not have to carry the burden of our sins any longer.

As much as I love Timothy, Zola and Nathan - and many other “children” of all ages - my love does not even begin to come close to that of Jesus.  He loves us in ways that we will never be able to comprehend.  BUT…God wants us to TRY to love like Jesus - to see others as His creatures…just as precious in His eyes as we are.  God wants us to share the Good News of Christ with all others…to be accepting and encompassing – forgiving and compassionate. 

It’s hard to emulate Jesus when someone is getting on your last nerve – or even saying/doing something to cause you actual harm.  But all we have to do is look at His example…and we know that this is what we are called to do.  So who will you help pick up the crumbs today?  How will you demonstrate the love, grace, mercy and forgiveness of Jesus to others?  Are you ready to go “full in” as a disciple of Christ – and share His teachings by putting them into actual practice?  Isn’t it time you were?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: