Daily Devotional for April 18, 2016

John 14:1-4
Jesus said to his disciples, “Don’t be worried! Have faith in God and have faith in me. There are many rooms in my Father’s house. I wouldn’t tell you this, unless it was true. I am going there to prepare a place for each of you. After I have done this, I will come back and take you with me. Then we will be together. You know the way to where I am going.”

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Greg and I planned to take the children to the movie theater after church yesterday to see “The Jungle Book.”  So on the way home, I told the kids I would bake them a pizza.  Timothy wanted a cheese sandwich instead.  Zola declared that she wanted pizza…and scrambled eggs.  Nathan agreed that he wanted eggs with his pizza, too.  I made sandwiches for Greg and me…so we had a full-service diner in operation.  Two of the children wanted chocolate milk – the third wanted juice.  And all three of them wanted ALL of this instantaneously.  Nobody wanted to wait for the meal to be prepared.

Now here’s the thing…the kids KNOW that it takes time to bake a pizza – and even pour milk and juice.  They KNOW that we are not about to let them starve – or be deprived in any way.  Still, they tried to act like the world was falling apart because the food and drink did not magically appear at that exact moment!  They demonstrated a total lack of faith in us to feed and care for them.

Now this was not our first rodeo.  We both knew that a lot of this “drama” was an attempt to manipulate us…to see just how tightly they could wind us up.  So we tried to ignore many of their comments and just “git-r-done.”  But here’s where this applies to you and me…we all know that God has promised to meet our every need.  We all have been told repeatedly – and read in scripture numerous times – that Jesus left His Holy Spirit to guide and comfort us. 

We have been given the assurance that we who have confessed our sins to Jesus Christ and surrendered our hearts to Him will be called to Heaven to live with Him when we die…or He will return for us someday and take us home at that time.  Either way, we will be with Jesus for all Eternity!  Yet many of us live such lives of worry and despair.  We operate in hopelessness – and helplessness – at every turn.  We act as if the world is falling apart around us and everyone is doomed.  We need visible, tangible results of Jesus in our lives…and we need them NOW! In behaving this way, we deny our Christian faith…and people are taking notice!

We know better.  And yes, some of us are simply being “drama queens” to some degree.  But a lot of us are just plain weak in the trust department.  We have not fully accepted Jesus as the Author and Finisher of our faith.  We do not fully operate in confidence that Jesus is the Son of God – and He is not only preparing a room in His Heavenly mansion for us…He is also meeting our needs every minute of the day here on this earth.

When we make this mind shift and fully begin to operate in Christian faith, everything about our life – and our attitudes – will be different…and people will notice.  When we “let go and let God” have control…and trust Him to meet our every need…we are filled with peace and confidence that defies explanation.  The “food” is coming…Jesus is preparing everything…and He totally has our back.  We can relax and spend our time doing the things that serve His Kingdom rather than worry about what will happen next. 

I am convinced that this is a better way to operate…and I’m doing everything I can to grow in faith and kick the Enemy and his little “worry game” to the curb.  My “Heavenly reservation” is made…I’m just waiting on Jesus to get the room ready. I don’t want to spend the time I have left wringing my hands and being frustrated and upset.  Jesus has better things for me to be doing…and I need to be busy accomplishing them.  What about you?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: