Daily Devotional for April 7, 2016

Hebrews 10:22-25
So let’s do it—full of belief, confident that we’re presentable inside and out. Let’s keep a firm grip on the promises that keep us going. He always keeps his word. Let’s see how inventive we can be in encouraging love and helping out, not avoiding worshiping together as some do but spurring each other on, especially as we see the big Day approaching.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

Call me crazy (and I know that many of you do!)…but I have a real hang-up about going out of the house without being “fixed up.”  I have recently allowed myself to go to the pool to work out without putting on make-up and styling my hair first, because it’s all going to be ruined anyway.  But it still makes me a bit uncomfortable that others may see me in a less than “presentable” form.  For years, I wouldn’t even let Greg see me without makeup.  The first thing I did every morning – even on Saturdays – was to get up and “put on my face.”

One morning, a young friend stopped by before I had dressed, and immediately, she said, “Oh, you’re so PRETTY without makeup!”  I know she was being incredibly kind (or maybe even lying)…but she had never seen me without the façade of foundation, eye shadow, mascara and more…and she really SAW me for the first time!  I started thinking about times I have been with women who weren’t wearing their regular “face,” and how often it didn’t matter to me…because I was seeing THEM, not the makeup.

Here’s the thing…God wants us to be presentable.  He wants us to offer others a neat, clean appearance.  But what is most important is that we are presentable as His representatives.  When others see us, they should see someone who is loving, encouraging, uplifting, and holy.  Our clothing and makeup should only enhance the joy and confidence we exude because of our salvation through Jesus…the fact that we have been washed in His blood and baptized in His Living Waters.

When others look at you, who do they really see?  Do they notice how “put together” your clothing, hair and makeup are…or the car you drive?  Are they more impressed by your watch and other jewelry – or the designer tags on your t-shirt and jeans than your heart and soul?  Are WE this way toward others?  Do we truly seek to worship together so that we can glorify God and be uplifted and encouraged to share the Good News with others?  Or do we get together to see our friends, make plans for social activities…or compare everything from our clothing to how well our kids did over the weekend in competitions of all kinds? 

Are we making a point…or making a difference?  Are we really presentable – inside and out? Isn’t it time we were?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: