Daily Devotional for April 17, 2016

April 17 ~ John 10:14-16
I am the good shepherd. I know my sheep, and they know me. Just as the Father knows me, I know the Father, and I give up my life for my sheep. I have other sheep that are not in this sheep pen. I must bring them together too, when they hear my voice. Then there will be one flock of sheep and one shepherd.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

You would have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to know how crazy I am about the little ones in our family…our two great-nephews and 3 great-nieces…some young cousins…the four children of a couple who are precious to Greg and me.  I adore these little ones and “would walk across hot coals” for all of them.  They call me “Aunt Debbie”...and I know this will sound weird, but the children know me by my fragrance, also.  I don’t know if it’s my cologne – or the detergent/fabric softener I use, but a couple of the mothers have told me that when I leave their children clothes I’ve made them and other things, they have mentioned that these things “smell like Debbie!”  These children and their families are my "sheep".

I’ve been doing a lot of substitute teaching in the children’s Sunday school classes in the last few months. I’ve volunteered in the nursery…and I accompanied Timothy’s class on an Earth Day field trip last week to help his teacher keep up with everyone.  I’ve spent a lot of time with children who are not in my "sheep pen.”  And I will tell you, they are important to me, also.  I love these children and care about their welfare…and what they are learning about Jesus. And this is the part of today’s scripture passage that struck me the most profoundly.

Jesus is pretty well telling us that ours is not an exclusive club…that we are His sheep…but so are other people – including folks we don’t even know and love.  I can tell you from years of teaching that there is often that one child who tends to rub us the wrong way or gets on our last nerve…he is obnoxious and disruptive…she is disheveled and smells of stale cigarettes and more.  This one just isn’t “loveable” like the others…and that one makes us question why we teach in the first place.  I’m just being honest.

But the fact is that each child is precious…and I know I’m not the only person who hopes and prays that her “children” are not some of those that a teacher finds hard to love – a child that is not in his/her “sheep pen.”  My prayer is that we would all pay attention to what Jesus is saying here…and that our desire and our utmost goal would to become inclusive.  We must work harder to seek out “sheep” that are “not in our pen”…and bring them into the flock. We must not do this because we are such superior Christians…but because Jesus commands us to love one another and share His Good News with them – and that means everyone!

I encourage you to take stock of your surroundings.  Think about the people you encounter – even briefly and/or occasionally.  How do you treat them? How do you suppose they see you?  Do you come off as someone who is “in the loop” while they are not?  Are you arrogant and narrow-minded in your Christian faith and witness? Have you publicly declared even the slightest disdain for people of a certain race, ethnic group, socio-economic level, sexual orientation, religious belief or political leaning?  Because every single one of these people is potentially one of Jesus’ sheep, just like you.  Jesus died for them every bit as much as He died for you and me.  He wants to capture the heart of each and every one of them…to love them and develop such a deep and abiding relationship with them that they not only know His name - they recognize His “smell,” so to speak.

Jesus talks of “one flock and one Shepherd”…so how on earth can we consider any other relationship?  How can we operate in an “us vs. them” mentality on any level after reading this scripture passage?  The answer is abundantly clear…we cannot.  We must not!  So my question to you this day is this...”what sort of ‘sheep’ are you…and how are you treating the others?”


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: