Daily Devotional for April 8, 2016

Hebrews 11:1-2
What is faith? It is the confident assurance that something we want is going to happen. It is the certainty that what we hope for is waiting for us, even though we cannot see it up ahead. Men of God in days of old were famous for their faith.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

On September 16, 2015, I received an e-mail from my mother, telling me she had gone to the clinic with a urinary tract infection…and during her exam, a nurse practitioner discovered an abnormality on Mother’s stomach.  The nurse sent Mother to our local hospital for a CT-scan, where a mass was found…and subsequent blood work and a biopsy were ordered.  Mother said, “Just pray that this mass is benign. God is in control. It will be okay." In a subsequent message a few days later, Mother said, “This is going to be OK—no matter what. Just going to be a battle ahead.”

And it was a battle.  As many of you know, my mother’s diagnosis was Stage 3C Ovarian Cancer, and the multiple tumors did not respond to chemotherapy. In fact, they almost doubled in size in three months.  On January 12, 2016, my mother’s battle ended.  And she continually insisted that God was in control, but...“He has other plans.” 

Like the “men of God in days of old,” my mother was famous for her faith.  In reading through her Bible study workbooks and other writings, I can see that what she hoped for more than anything was to see Jesus in person – and to please Him while she was still on this earth.  She could not see exactly when – or how – this would happen…but she had faith that it would indeed be so.  And I have faith and confidence that she was right on both counts.

I hear so many people say, “My faith is weak.”  And I get that. There are times when we all face challenges and obstacles that seem too big to overcome.  We will all face numerous situations that test – and hopefully strengthen – our faith.

My mother noted that there was “going to be a battle ahead”…but do not miss that she prefaced this acknowledgment with a statement of faith…”This is going to be OK – no matter what.”  Herein lies the message for us.  We don’t always know the where, when, how or why of the things that happen to us.  But when we trust God…when we make a concerted effort to have faith that He is in complete control of a perfect outcome…God will confirm this in ways that we cannot even begin to imagine – and fill us with complete peace in the process.

What sort of faith do you have these days?  Do you believe for the things that you want to happen…and trust God to bring about the perfect end result?  Or do you throw up your hands at the first sign of trouble and say, “This is simply too much for me”…and cower in a corner?  The Bible is filled with examples of people who exercised a strong “faith muscle” -  and the sad story of some who folded and let the devil have the victory.

I encourage you to spend some time with God today and surrender your burdens and fears to Him.  Pray this prayer…”LORD…I don’t know what You have in store for me…or how You plan to manage the events and challenges of my life.  But I give them all to You.  I am filled with faith and confidence that You know what lies ahead…and You are in complete control.  I thank You for loving me - and for Your perfect plans for my life.  I surrender MY will to YOURS with complete assurance that all will be well, according to Your will.  Amen.” 

When others look at you, do they see someone with a profound faith in God…or someone who operates in fear and uncertainty?  What is faith to you?  Isn’t it time you knew?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: