Daily Devotional for March 10, 2010

March 10 ~ Psalm 62:8
Trust God, my friends, and always tell him each one of your concerns. God is our place of safety.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Everyone needs a “place of safety.” Everyone needs a place to go and sit and be alone and feel sheltered from the “storms of life.” This may be your bedroom, a den, or even your car. Some parents report that their only “haven” is the bathroom with the door locked! When I was a child, my places of safety were the mossy creek bank across from my grandparents’ farm house, a ride on my horse through the pasture, or the storm cellar (where we spent MANY hours!). That probably explains why to this day, I insist on a “safe room” in our house where we can go during threats of tornadoes!

We also need a Spiritual “place of safety.” This doesn’t have to be a physical location, although for many, it is helpful to have a set “spot” where they can go to talk to God and meditate upon His word. For me, this place is currently my sun porch. At another home, it was a rocking chair or the swing on my front porch. Even on cold winter nights, I would bundle up and go there to talk to God… to pour out my concerns. I felt His presence deeply there… and every twinkling star was like His wink of reassurance.

You don’t have to have a designated “place of safety” to communicate with God and trust Him with your concerns. You might do this in the car on your commute to work… or you might develop a time of meditation with Him while sitting on a bench and waiting on your mom to pick you up from school. Your “place of safety” with God might just be a calming effect you evoke by sitting quietly, praying and meditating. The point is to feel God’s presence and to envision His arms engulfing and protecting you. The point is to trust God to always welcome you - wherever you are, whatever is happening in your life - and to know that He will be there for you. He will – He IS! Are you trusting Him enough these days? Do you have a “place of safety” with God?

©2009 Debbie Robus

No comments: