Daily Devotional for March 22, 2010

March 22 ~ Matthew 20:18-19
We are now on our way to Jerusalem, where the Son of Man will be handed over to the chief priests and the teachers of the Law of Moses. They will sentence him to death, and then they will hand him over to foreigners who will make fun of him. They will beat him and nail him to a cross. But on the third day he will rise from death.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

There is a new show on NBC called “Who Do You Think You Are?” in which celebrities trace their family roots. The first episode followed actress Lisa Kudrow, of “Friends” fame, as she traveled to Poland to search for her ancestors. What she found there was heartbreaking. Her great-grandmother and other family members had been marched to their death by the Nazis in a small village called Ilya. History indicates that these Jewish men, women, and children were stripped naked and led in groups of three or four to the edge of a large concrete cellar and shot, then dumped into the cellar. Later, the bodies were burned.

Lisa was visibly shaken as she stood where her great-grandmother had stood and thought of her and the others, waiting there and knowing what was about to happen. She said, “I keep thinking of the children.” As I watched this story, I thought of the children, too. What did her great-grandmother say to them? Did she comfort them and reassure them it would be okay? Or was she visibly frightened – and did she convey that fear to the others?

I also thought of another “child” – Jesus, the Son of God. He knew what was going to happen, and He knew how horrific His torture and death would be. But He endured it anyway – for each of us. God knew that the sacrifice of His son would ensure that His children – you and I – would have eternal life. He apparently felt it was a reasonable exchange. Personally, I don’t think I could sacrifice the life of my own child…even to save the masses. But then, I don’t have God’s capacity for unconditional love, grace and mercy!

I am so humbled and grateful for the sacrifices of Jesus. I am heartbroken for the horrific injustices that were inflicted upon the Jews and others throughout history. But I know a God who makes everything new… a God who holds our hand through even the most heinous experiences and says, “I’m with you. I love you. Trust me, and I will save you.” I don’t understand God’s love for us, but I don’t have to – all I have to do is accept Him. God’s love is a gift – freely given to all who will believe in Him. Are you ready to receive this love and claim victory over sin and death? Are you ready to live in Christ Jesus and look forward to spending eternity with Him? If you have not already chosen a life in Christ, today is the perfect time to do so. If you have, perhaps you need to spend some time in prayer and thanksgiving for all God has done in your life. Jesus Christ rose from the dead and will return for us. Will you be ready?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: