Daily Devotional for March 27, 2010

March 27 ~ Romans 8:33-34
If God says his chosen ones are acceptable to him, can anyone bring charges against them? Or can anyone condemn them? No indeed! Christ died and was raised to life, and now he is at God's right side, speaking to him for us.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

A friend of mine wrote on Facebook that he would like to go back and revisit all of the books and movies that meant so much more to his parents than they did to him when he first read them – like Seabiscuit. He explained, “In any work wherein loss or illness of a child is crucial to character development, I'm sure I would connect more with that person and his or her motivations. Even "The Incredibles" got to me because by then I had a child. You understand better the meaning of the phrase "do anything it takes."

In Romans 8, we hear the Apostle Paul explaining that if God is for us, who is really against us? Paul continues that if God was willing to give up His only Son for us, won’t He give us EVERYTHING else? If God chose us, can anyone else truly reject us? I will tell you, I cannot imagine giving up a child. I’ve thought a lot about this, and I fully understand how parents save a child at the risk of their own life. Think rescuing a child who is drowning, or holding a baby out the window of a burning building for someone else to save. I get that… I would do that in a heartbeat. But to allow my child to be nailed to be tortured and nailed to a cross… even to save millions of other “children”… well, I don’t know that kind of love in human form. I would do anything it takes to save a child, but I am fairly certain I could not sacrifice them – no matter what the cause.

So given this consideration, when God says He sent Jesus to die for me, I have to believe Him. When God says that I am precious in His sight, I have to repeat those words when I feel condemned or criticized by others. When God says that what He does for me, He does for many, I have to look at each person I encounter as a His child, fully deserving of all He gives…just like I am. I have to remember that Jesus died for me, you, and everyone else who will believe in Him… and now He goes to bat for ALL of us each and every day. I am grateful that God loves enough to sacrifice HIS Son for all of us… I am grateful for His power and grace and mercy. Where I am weak, He is strong… and I praise Him for this.

Romans 8 concludes with verses that tell us nothing can separate us from God’s love. God… the ultimate Parent… loves us more than we can imagine… enough to sacrifice Jesus on the cross for our sins. How can we not serve One who loves us incredibly? If God is on our side, who can be against us?


©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: