Daily Devotional for March 28, 2010

March 28 ~ Acts 13:30-35
But God raised him from death! Then for many days Jesus appeared to his followers who had gone with him from Galilee to Jerusalem. Now they are telling our people about him. God made a promise to our ancestors. And we are here to tell you the good news that he has kept this promise to us. It is just as the second Psalm says about Jesus, "You are my son because today I have become your Father." God raised Jesus from death and will never let his body decay. It is just as God said, "I will make to you the same holy promise that I made to David." And in another psalm it says, "God will never let the body of his Holy One decay."

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

“I promise.” We say that so often. We tell our babies and small children, “I promise I will be right back.” We tell family and friends, “I promise I will remember to do such-and-such for you,” or “I promise I will never lie to you, “ or even “I promise I will do better.” We tell our teachers, “I promise, the dog ate my homework!”

“I promise, I promise!” But how many of our promises are reliable? How often do we fall short of delivering on our promises? What if GOD fell short? What if He had allowed Jesus to die on the cross for our sins, but somehow He never resurrected Jesus’ body? What if God had allowed Jesus’ body to decay? Our “Good News” wouldn’t be very good, would it?!

There’s more to consider... before we gave our hearts to Jesus, we were “dead” in sin. But Jesus bought and paid for our sins on the cross, and then He rose from the grave. Because of this, we are no longer “dead” in sin. We have risen to new life in Christ. God promised this, too! If God had failed to honor even one part of His promises, we would not be saved from sin and guaranteed an eternity with Him in heaven.

Because we are human, we often fail to honor our promises, even when our intentions are the best in the world. Thankfully, God NEVER fails to honor a promise. We can rest assured that what He has said He will do for us will be done. This is wonderful news! I promise this is true… because GOD has promised it!

2009 Debbie Robus

No comments: