Daily Devotional for November 19, 2012

John 16:33
I’ve told you all this so that trusting me, you will be unshakable and assured, deeply at peace. In this godless world you will continue to experience difficulties. But take heart! I’ve conquered the world.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

If you want to give the devil fits, just get comfortable with God! The closer you draw to Him, the more minor irritations and frustrations Satan will throw your way. It’s like he’s saying, “Oh yeah? Well what about THIS one?”! I have to laugh as I picture him, hands on his hips, growling and perturbed because his latest rant or scheme did not put me out of commission. But this has not always been the case… and I will be the first to admit that I still let the devil get to me and rattle my cage far too often!

This is “Thanksgiving Week” in the USA… a time when we are supposed to stop and make an extra effort to count our blessings. I know I have more than my share… and I am so grateful to God for all He does for me every minute of the day. I am incredibly thankful that He has conquered the world and I can live deeply at peace… unshaken and assured, even when momentary difficulties arise. I cannot imagine surviving all the things that come our way in even an “ordinary day” without the power of Jesus behind me.

I am surrounded by people who inspire me with their examples of tremendous faith in the midst of great challenge… a mother whose son is undergoing treatments for cancer wrote that if she could make a chain of daily blessings in their lives, it would stretch around the house, and then some… a young newlywed whose husband is battling a sinister and most-certainly terminal brain cancer, journals of the wonderful hiking trip they had to a local mountainous area and the joy of daily routines like soccer practice for their little boys… the mother of two four-year-olds who spent their first year of life in Arkansas Children’s hospital, lost their third sibling along the way, and wakes up with a new physical “issue” almost every day – yet reports that her son fell and knocked out three front teeth, and she was glad that it was just a “normal little-boy accident/injury” and not something more major! Now that’s faith in action!

I could go on and on… but I think you get the picture. One of my former Sunday school students posted on Facebook that ““For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.” You could easily insert the words frustrated, irritated, distressed, or hopeless and have the same result. And the whole point is that, while these are normal human reactions, they serve no purpose in the life of a Christian.

In the words of an old song called “Pick Yourself Up” by Jerome Kern…”pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again!” Recognize that God has already sent the devil packing, so we have no business letting him back into our neighborhood, so to speak. Kick him to the curb for good. When you start to feel frustrated, irritated, angry, or hopeless, shake Satan from your shoulder and say, “No way! I serve the Most High God, who has conquered the world! I am unshaken and assured that He has my back, and I am at peace!” Then do.it!

Be confident and faithful… a living example for others. Difficulties will come, but they do not define us. Cast ALL of your cares on God, for He truly does care for you in every way.

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: