Daily Devotional for November 23, 2012

Psalm 4:4-5
Complain if you must, but don’t lash out. Keep your mouth shut, and let your heart do the talking. Build your case before God and wait for his verdict.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

I’ve been listening to the conversations Timothy has with his toy dinosaurs and jungle animals… and also his bath tub “friends.” You can learn a lot from an imaginative three-year-old! One conversation he had recently involved a “Grandpa” dinosaur and a smaller animal who wanted to come along on an adventure. Grandpa would say, “You can’t come with us…it’s too dangerous. But how can we get across this bridge… got any ideas?”

Timothy worked out his problems in these conversations and arrived at answers. Granted, they were make-believe conversations… and a lot of it was quotes from his videos about “The Land That Time Forgot.” Still, there was a great lesson here. We need to spend some time sharing our frustrations and concerns with God and asking Him… “Got any ideas?” I can assure you, He has plenty of them… and He is more than ready to share His answers with you!

More and more, I find myself in situations where I really need someone to talk to… but the “right person” just doesn’t seem to exist. Either my concerns would be worrisome or hurtful to some… or seem downright ugly and mean to others… or the things that genuinely trouble me sound totally ridiculous and/or as if I am lacking in faith when I say them out loud. So I tell these things to God. NOTHING is too ridiculous, hurtful and mean, or doubtful to share with Him. I can be myself, pour out my heart, and “let it all hang out” before God, and He will not judge me. BUT…He will answer!

God’s verdict will always be right and sound… and if I will just sit still for a while and listen, He will show me exactly what I need to do. A lot of the time we cannot help our feelings… our thoughts and impressions are very real to us. But we don’t need to air them for the world to hear. Instead, all we have to do is pour out our hearts to God and ask, “Got any ideas?” I guarantee you that He does! Who are you talking to these days?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: