Daily Devotional for November 22, 2012

1 Peter 5:7
God cares for you, so turn all your worries over to him.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When I was a little girl, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas were a huge deal in my family. We gathered for gigantic potluck meals, rotating who served as host/hostess among the adult family members. In attendance were my parents and my siblings, both sets of my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins… sometimes as many as 30 people. When I was small, my dad and some male cousins would go quail hunting right after lunch. In later years, we sat around and visited…and ate…looked at old pictures…and ate…watched football… and ate…played dominoes… and did I mention that we ate?! We would reheat what was left around dinner time and eat one last time, then say our good-byes and return to our individual homes.

As an adult, I have come to realize how much work this annual dinner was for the host/hostess… how long and hard others (who had regular day jobs) worked in the evenings and early morning of Thanksgiving Day to prepare the succulent dishes that always graced our tables and sideboards. But for me, it was a day when everyone got together to share food and fellowship without a care in the world. It was as if we cast all of our cares aside for that one day.

Now I realize that a lot of people come to the Thanksgiving Day table with a heavy heart… burdens that seem insurmountable…troubles of all kinds. There isn’t enough turkey, cranberries or pumpkin pie in the world to soothe what ails them. And I get it… I truly do. I will miss my grandparents today… the cousins who have long since gone to heaven and feast at the Heavenly table… my dad and my brother… my father-in-law who loved to see his family gathered around the table… and my little grandmother who is physically unable to leave her apartment and be with us. In the back of my mind I will be thinking about what I have to do next week, what’s going on in the world at large, those less fortunate, and the challenges that lie before me and my family.

But the GOOD NEWS is that I serve a God who is more than able to handle these worries and burdens. So today, I will make an extra effort to hand them to Him… to thank Him for such strong and sturdy shoulders that can carry the cares of the world. I will allow God to fill me with joy for the memories of times gone past… and the new traditions and memories we will begin to create this day with family members who are present… and our little great-niece and nephews, Zola, Timmy and Nathan. I will laugh and celebrate the joy and wonder of their presence… and the freedom to share a delicious meal with them in the cozy, festive home of their great-grandmother… my mom. I will cook the traditional green beans in my grandmother’s old iron Dutch oven. I’ll make other dishes that have come to be holiday favorites… as will others. And we will eat… and eat… and eat some more… because we can, praise God!

Wherever you are today… whether you are celebrating Thanksgiving Day officially, or you are merely counting your blessings because you can – and should… give God praise for carrying our worries and cares. Thank Him for being so powerful, loving, generous, gracious and merciful. Thank God for those who have filled your life in the past… and those who surround you today and in days to come. Recognize that your worst day WITH God is better than your best day without Him… and be incredibly thankful for that! Let go and let God… be thankful and blessed… and please pass the gravy… and the TUMS®!

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: