Daily Devotional for November 29, 2012

Joshua 1:9
I’ve commanded you to be strong and brave. Don’t ever be afraid or discouraged! I am the Lord your God, and I will be there to help you wherever you go.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

If you ever start to feel discouraged or have a pity party, go to your local hospital and sit in the outpatient waiting area for a while. There you will get a real slice of life… patients waiting for chemo treatments…elderly persons who have a myriad of ailments… loved ones waiting in the surgery area while doctors operate on family members and friends…people who are depending on walkers, canes, wheelchairs, oxygen tanks, and more. Listen to the chatter as these people talk – often candidly – about their treatments, countless visits to doctors and therapists, and the worries and concerns of their day.

Talk about some “Joshua 1:9 ambassadors!” You will hear stories of bravery and strength that will knock your socks off… and probably humble you to your core. I know this is always my reaction. I have waited in this area for doctor visits… and also as an advocate for loved ones. Each time, I come away thinking, “My problems seem so small and insignificant. More importantly, God is handling them for me. I have nothing to fear… no need to be discouraged.”

This very morning, I had allowed some things to pile up on me. I was starting to feel pretty low. Then I opened my outline file of scriptures about frustration and discouragement, and the one I had designated for today was Joshua 1:9. How is that for being brought up short by God?! He very quickly reminded me WHO is in charge here… and it ain’t me!

In this very simple, yet powerful way, God reminded me that I must be strong and brave… never afraid or discouraged. HE is in charge… HE is with me wherever I go… and HE will handle all of my concerns and meet every need. How awesome is that?!

I don’t know what is “on your plate” today. I have no clue what issues trouble or challenge you… what worries and concerns may be weighing you down and bringing you sorrow or alarm. But I do know that this makes the devil very happy to see you so low… and at the same time, it saddens God. He is standing right in front of us saying, “HERE I AM! You have nothing to fear! Pick yourself up and get going. Fill yourself with the comfort and joy of knowing that I have your back… and we’ve.got.this!”

I encourage you to be strong and brave this day… and in the days ahead. Know that God is with you wherever you go… and remember to smile! “This day belongs to the Lord! Let’s celebrate and be glad!” Psalm 128:24

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: