Daily Devotional for November 8, 2012

Matthew 10:28-31
“Don’t be bluffed into silence by the threats of bullies. There’s nothing they can do to your soul, your core being. Save your fear for God, who holds your entire life—body and soul—in his hands.

“What’s the price of a pet canary? Some loose change, right? And God cares what happens to it even more than you do. He pays even greater attention to you, down to the last detail—even numbering the hairs on your head! So don’t be intimidated by all this bully talk. You’re worth more than a million canaries.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Today, my husband and I took Timothy and his little sister, Zola, to the park to play and enjoy a picnic lunch. This had to be one of the most perfect days we have had all year… maybe in more than a year. The air was crisp and cool… the sun was shining brightly over a local park adjacent to the beautiful blue water of a lake that hugs the northern edge of our community, and the leaves were brilliant hues of red, yellow, orange, and green.

I sat on a bench as we ate and looked at the children’s hair in the sunlight. Timmy’s is blond, a little course, and stands up along a couple of “cow licks” that give him wispy stick-straight spikes. Zola’s is almost black, soft, fine and pours over her head in a mound of unruly curls. To think that God knows exactly how many hairs number not only the heads of these children… but yours, mine, and everyone else’s as well… boggles my mind.

These children are marvels to me. I watch them play and see how quickly they are growing and what amazing things they are learning, and I am in awe. I cannot imagine that anyone could spend time in the presence of small children at play and not believe in God! How could you look at the innocent wonder of a toddler and not see Him at work? And how could you imagine that these incredible tiny creatures don’t simply melt God’s heart each and every day? I am convinced that God has a legion of angels just to care for small children… and that He cares about every detail of their little lives.

Timmy is very concerned that I will outgrow him… or that he will outgrow me! He asks me nearly every time I see him, “Am I still your baby?” I assure him that he is…that he will always be my baby! Surely the God who numbers the hair on our heads and holds sway over the bodies and souls of little children cares immensely for each of us. Remember, we were all once small children… and in God’s eyes, we are all still His babies! I don’t know about you, but I am deeply moved by this.

To think that God always has my back… that I am incredibly valuable to Him, and that He will protect me from all “bullies”… frees me to love Him more deeply and to follow Him more completely. All I have to do is love God and serve Him wholeheartedly. He will handle any naysayers or “bullies” who try to stop me or do me harm. Isn’t this amazing? Doesn’t this give you confidence and courage beyond anything you could ever muster on your own?

The children slid down the slide with abandon today. They giggled with glee in the swings…confident that we would protect them and keep them from harm… free to enjoy the wind in their hair and the sunshine on their face. Is your relationship with God this unencumbered? Do you feel this protected by God? Do you feel His presence…His constant love and care? Are you free to worship Him and serve Him without concern for what others may say or think?

Stop and take some time to sit in God’s presence. Enjoy the beauty of the fall color or even the peace and quiet of a secluded space in your home or office. Listen for God’s voice and hear Him say, “You’re still my baby.” Then go about your day with added confidence, peace and joy…knowing how incredibly loved and protected you are. Boldly proclaim the Good News of Jesus, confident that God has your back… now, and always.

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: