Daily Devotional for November 26, 2012

Revelation 21:4
He will wipe all tears from their eyes, and there will be no more death, suffering, crying, or pain. These things of the past are gone forever.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

The other night, Timothy did not want to go to bed. I knew he was exhausted. It was late, and his day had been full. But he also had not visited our house in a few weeks, and he was having so much fun playing with toys that sleeping was the last thing on his mind. I assured him that we would play all day the following day – after we rested – but he would have none of that! We sat on the edge of the bed and he tearfully cried, “We can’t do this! There has to be a better way!”

My heart broke for this little guy, as I hugged him and wiped away his tears. I know… I know… he was being dramatic and working me. But at the same time, I know that he is only three years old, and these are confusing times for children his age. They want to exert their independence, yet they often lack the skills and abilities to express themselves properly. And let’s be honest, sometimes things in life just make us want to have a good cry.

Soon enough, three-year-old children discover real problems… pain, suffering and truly hard life lessons – even death. As we grow, we may have a friend, family member, or spouse who comes to our rescue and wipes away our tears and reassures us. But often, we may find ourselves wandering in a wasteland of sorts… carrying burdens and frustrations on our own without anyone to physically offer us comfort and encouragement.

The GOOD NEWS is that God is always with us… ready to shoulder our burdens and soothe us when we cry. We can take anything to God… He is always ready to hear our deepest hurts and to comfort us. And we have the hope and promise of a day when there will be NO MORE tears, sickness, hurt, confusion, frustration, suffering or pain. That is glorious news to me!

This is what keeps me going on days when I would really like to throw up my hands and say, “I’m done!” And don’t tell me you don’t have those days… because we all do! But God understands… and He is right there to lift us and help us put one foot in front of the other. All we have to do is say, “LORD, I can’t do this… there has to be a better way. Please help me.”

Don’t you want to call on God? Don’t you want to feel His gentle hand on your face, wiping away your tears…His strong arms wrapping around you and holding you close? Aren’t you encouraged by this promise of heaven and no more pain, sorrow and tears? Isn’t today the perfect time to start depending on God to handle whatever challenges you… and to trust His promises for your future?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: