Daily Devotional for November 28, 2012

Jeremiah 29:11-13
For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me.

Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

How many times have you made plans that somehow were derailed? Just today, I made plans to clean out some boxes in my garage. I decided that this project was going so well that I would also gather some things from my craft room. After all, I am taking unwanted items to the thrift shop later this week… I just as well take as much as I can! Then my husband called to me to help him clean out some boxes in the attic. I got involved in his project, along with my own, and before I knew it, the day that was going to have room for lots of projects was over!

I can’t complain. We have accomplished a lot today. And I have learned to roll with the punches… very seldom do my days go completely as planned. Everyone has twists and turns in their plans, and I learned a long time ago that getting upset when “life happens” will not be very healthy in the long run! But if I stay on course and sort of “reboot” every now and again, what needs to get done is eventually accomplished.

The beautiful thing is that God has plans for each of us… perfect plans. And we can try all we want to derail them… we can insert our own desires and two-cents-worth into the mix…and we can fall apart when things don’t go as we hoped or anticipated. But at the end of the day, if we will pay close attention, God’s plans will be the ones that get us the farthest down the road.

We need to begin each morning by asking, “LORD, what are YOUR plans for me today? Show me how to accomplish what YOU have in store for me… to listen for Your voice and direction.” We need to stay the course as much as possible. But when bumps in the road occur, we need to ask God to help us handle them and get back on track as quickly as possible. If we try to fix things on our own… or we veer away from the designs that God has for us, we can expect problems, disappointments and heartaches.

I am amazed when I stop and recognize that God created a plan precisely for my life… and yours… and the next guy’s, and the next. I see His hand in so many aspects of my days, and I see Him at work for others, too. I have to laugh at how ridiculous we are to think we could do better… or that He doesn’t care about us. And I am truly, deeply humbled by such a generous gift.

I don’t know the plans God has for you… but I know they are amazing. Have you asked Him lately what He has in store for you… and which direction you should take? Isn’t it about time you did?

©2012 Debbie Robus

No comments: