Daily Devotional for March 13, 2016

1 Timothy 2:1-3
The first thing I want you to do is pray. Pray every way you know how, for everyone you know. Pray especially for rulers and their governments to rule well so we can be quietly about our business of living simply, in humble contemplation. This is the way our Savior God wants us to live.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

 
This morning I assisted with the 6th grade Sunday school class.  The lesson was from John 12, where Jesus washed the feet of His disciples…even Judas, His subsequent betrayer.  The point was made that we cannot pick and choose who we will serve, if we are truly Christ’s disciples.  And as the Apostle Paul notes in these verses to Timothy, we must also pray for everyone.

I love how this translation says to “pray every way you know how.”  Lately, there have been circumstances in my life where I found it hard to pray for certain people and situations…and yet, I knew that prayer was the only “resource” I had – and truly all that I needed.  God answered, and I once again laughed at how I had worried needlessly.  Here’s one instance…my husband, Greg, had surgery on Tuesday that led to the need for another procedure two days later…in another city more than an hour away.

The forecast was for us to receive as much as nine inches of rain, which could have led to flooded roads and possibly prevented us from getting to the hospital.  I asked for prayer on Facebook, and one friend replied, “Today is Tuesday…don't project what will be [happening on] Thursday. It's in the hands of YKW (You Know Who).  Prayers.”  And she was right!  The rains came – but there were no floods in our driving area.  We made it to the hospital and back in one piece, and the procedure went better than expected.  All is well.

God answered our prayers.  He has answered all of my prayers perfectly.  Notice I did not say that God always answers as I prefer!  But I know in my heart that He has answered according to His perfect plans…and He will continue to do so. I am learning to live “simply, in humble contemplation”…and to pray for everyone and everything - in every way I know how!  What about you?

   
©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: