Daily Devotional for March 21, 2016

2 Peter 3:11-13
Since everything here today might well be gone tomorrow, do you see how essential it is to live a holy life? Daily expect the Day of God, eager for its arrival. The galaxies will burn up and the elements melt down that day—but we’ll hardly notice. We’ll be looking the other way, ready for the promised new heavens and the promised new earth, all landscaped with righteousness.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

Given all that has happened in our family in the last three months, Greg and I felt it was urgent that we “get our house in order.”  We updated our important documents, cleaned out files and closets…and we even pre-planned our funerals.  Several people thought this was rather morbid - and even “rushing things.”  But after the sudden deaths of Greg’s brother and my mother – both relatively young by our standards – we saw once again how quickly things can change.  As this scripture puts it, everything here might very well be gone tomorrow.

The “upside” of doing all of this preparation is that we can now move forward with confidence that things are in some semblance of order…that we are not leaving a mess for our friends and relatives – or burdening them unnecessarily with questions and decisions about how we would wish for things to be handled.

We can also focus on other things that are more enjoyable.  We can spend our days serving God and loving others…expectantly waiting for Him to show up and show out!  There will still be bumps in the road…and details to “tweak” from time to time…but now we are free to focus on our earthly mission – and our heavenly destination.  And both look pretty promising right at the moment.

I am reminded of the 4th grader who told me yesterday that he would not trade places with anyone, because, “My life is not perfect…there are problems…but it’s what I’ve been given, and it’s pretty great. I am happy with who I am and what I’ve got.”  I’m with him 100%.  I wish I had been that content when I was ten!  Yes, this is an amazing kid.  He has everything pretty well figured out...and I pray that this level of contentment and purpose continues in his life. 

The thing is…we can be just like him!  We can find our purpose, “get our ducks in a row,” and serve God with determination, dedication – and great hope for our future in heaven!  What is required is often just a shift in attitude…and a determination to draw nearer to God and pay closer attention to His will for our lives.  There is no better time than this Holy Week to make such a commitment.  Won’t you join me in pledging to focus more on heaven and God’s plan for us until it is time for us to join Him there?  Will you redouble your efforts to keep your eyes and ears open…to worry less and serve God more…and to share the joy of this Eternal hope with others each and every day?  I’m ready to get started…what about you?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: